Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
KM...man...6'5" is tough on the ICW but it can be done if you wait for tidal help at the rough spots. You can also do some outside jumps for a day or two in good weather to avoid the rough spots. Assuming the boat is in south FL. you should allow a minimum of 3 weeks to get to NC. I can help more with a lot of the trip details when you are ready for them. What kind of boat is she?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
KM,

I have been through: Gabrieale, Gene (sp??), Charlie, Francis, and Ivan (as best as I can remember... hell, maybe others, I lost count). All in Florida. We rode Gabrielle out on the boat. First let me tell you: THERE IS NO PLACE SAFE IN FLORIDA. Bloody state is only about 120 miles wide. Most hurricanes are bigger than the state. Don't think you can put it up on stands and walk away without worrying about damage. Of course, putting it on stands in the middle of the state, totally de-rigged, wellded to the ground, etc, etc is a lot safer than tied up on a morring ball on Key West waiting for the Cat 5 to do its worst... but just forget the whole notion that you are safe anywhere.

I will also restate what PB said: Why leave it there? Does your insurance company know? I cannot remember if it was Boat US or our other broker, but they told us that if we left our boat unattended, ESPECIALLY DURING HURRICANE SEASON, they would drop us and it would not be covered. Period. No unattended boats.

I will also say that when we did Gabrielle, three boats sank around us and broke loose. All three of them were unattended - so I can totally understand why Marinas have that rule... and by the way, it is safer for boat owners too. You will see many marina contracts trying to push you out on a approaching storm, but I scratch that clause out (after a verbal reminder with the dock master) and make all initial that I WILL NOT be leaving on a storm. KEEP THAT COPY HANDY IN AUGUST, SEPTEMBER, AND OCTOBER!! The will have me for better or worse. If they will not let you do that, go find another marina because you will not have time to secure in 48 hours.. and you can lose more than just your boat (like, your life). All the spots will be taken anyway.

If by some chance you do not care about insurance or what happens to your boat during those months and cannot move during hurrican season, I would probably urge you to find a pull-out marina as far north as you can get. The south part of Florida is longer and shallower than the northern regions and you have a little less likelihood of storm surge. Of course, Ivan wiped out Gulf Shores and Pensacola (by storm surge), so this is a general approximation... but a Cat 5 in south Florida with the same surge would have gone a lot further inland. Also, the SWest side of Florida in general is probably struck a little less than the rest of the state... but the last 5-7 years seem to be changing that proportion.

In conclusion, if AT ALL POSSIBLE, do not leave your boat unattended in Florida. I would actually tell you to move it to Texas during those months (Clear Lake) because it has very reasonable slippage and you insurance will likely drop significantly (60-70%). If you use Boat US, they will discount the change mid-term versus having to re-write a new policy. The docks (in Texas) are nice and seem to be well made and it will take a strong storm and direct hit for significant damage. None of that is neccessarily true for Florida. If not, role the dice and take your chances... but you better call you insurance company and tell them your plans - they may make the decision for you.

- CD

PS Dockage in Florida, 1 year contract, all paid up-front, about 15-17/foot for liveaboard (and more in many places). As cheap as about $13/foot non-liveaboard... but lots of extras like electricity and liveaboard fees, and person fees (LA fee is about 120-150/month, PLUS $50 first person, $25 each person there after... all per month), plus any club fees. You will also get on a waiting list (sometimes 2 years long) to be fotunate enough to pay these "very reasonable" prices. Vasoline is NOT included. Again, this is full time, 1 year contract, paid up front, cash.

Texas slippage: Often no LA fee or per person fee. A nice marina is somewhere around $6-8 month. That is it. This is per month, not paid up front cash. These marinas are often brand new, floating docks, workout center, restaurants, Country clubs...

Our insurance changes from 4600/year east of the Mississippi to 2200 year west. I am a VERY experienced boater with NO claims, ever, and I had several insurance companies that would not cover me east of the Mississippi.

Now how much is the true cost difference between Florida and Texas (not to mention the peace of mind)?? Get the picture?
Old 01-23-2007
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
Can We Just Not Talk About Hurricanes Anymore Till Summer,
Old 01-23-2007

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
sorry mikeedmo.
Some more hurricane questions, I do not want to leave the boat in FL, I just wanted to know if it is an option. Which it obviously is not. So where do I take her? Texas? how long would it take to get there? I have been reviewing some hurricane history maps and they seem to indicate that Texas is not a big risk for hurricanes. Actually it does not matter at all to me where I store her for the summer. I would just like to store her in a place where she will be safe while unattended.

Cruising dad thanks alot for the info/ opinions their very much appreaciated , you must be a very good typer.

KC
Old 01-24-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
What are your plans when you are on the boat? That would be a factor in where you leave her. Allowing for weather, I'd think you would want to set aside a couple of weeks to go Florida to Texas if you go across the Gulf. Longer if you use the ICW.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't try the West Coast ICW with that draft...it is shallower than the East Coast and the bridges are not 65' either. Taking a "'new" and untested boat out on a passage through the gulf is not a great idea either. My advice is to day hop up the east coast. I think you can put in at Beaufort NC and avoid Cape Hatteras and go from Beaufort up to Oriental or New Bern or into the Chesapeake with your draft without much problem. The trouble spots from there are:
1. Gallant Channel as you exit Beaufort north into the ICW. This can be done but careful and slow navigation in the channel is required. Alternatively you can go around Radio Island to Morehead City and hook up with the ICW in deep water.
2. Northern mouth of the Alligator River. Lots of boats have been going aground here as marker #3 has been placed further west than the charts (and chart plotters) show. Must look WEST from marker 5 for the green #3 and not be fooled by seeing #1 dead ahead in the distance. Again...go slow and there is enough water.
3. Currituck sound southern entrance just north of Coinjock is shoaled and you must stay to the center and poert side of the channel heading north.

Everything else is plenty deep enough for you and you'll have yor choice of lots of marinas which are reasonably priced. If I was going to leave the boat unattended I would haul her as hurricanes and tropical storms DO hit NC nd the Chesapeake through they tend to be a bit weaker than the ones down south...but boats still need to be attended to. Suggest Shroeder Yacht Yard in Deltaville as a good place to store and get work done BUT don't leave her there over the winter or you will be hit with tax.
http://www.yacht-yard.com/location.htm

You can see a picture of the yard adjoinning the Stingray Harbor Marina here:
http://marinas.com/view/marina/2420
Old 01-24-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Missed the part about the 6 1/2 foot draft. So I'd definitely avoid the ICW west. Also, the fixed bridges are 71 foot, but the Ellender Lift Bridge is 50' when down, but requires a minimum of 4 hours notice to open.

Deltaville is not a bad choice. Near to airports, and there are some good yards there. Roads were a mess last Febuary when I went there, but otherwise not a bad place.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog