Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
hurricane havens

Hello all.
I am very likely about to buy a boat in Fl. assuming the survey doesn't turn up anything unexpected. The one logisticall problem that keeps popping up , is where do we store her during the huricane season. In the words of the broker " you do what boat owners in Florida do". So what is that? I will not be using her from june to September .Is there a good yard where she can be put on the hard with welded stands and all her windage reduced?

So what do Ya'll do?

KC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Any particular reason you have to leave it in Florida? You could leave it in perhaps North Carolina, where hurricanes are less likely, and rates are probably much cheaper, and have plenty of time to make your way down to Florida for the winter. Just a thought.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
KC-

PBzeer's idea is a good one. I don't think you'll even be able to get insurance for it, even it is stored on the hard, since Florida is essentially a non-starter for most insurance companies during Hurricane season. This is especially true after the 2005 hurricane season went through. North Carolina or the mouth of the Chesapeake (Tidewater Virginia) are much better places for storing your boat and sailing your boat during hurricane season.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2007

georgellop is on a distinguished road
kmclarke,... there are a few options both inland on the water away from storm surge and on the hard if you decide that Fl. is still where you would like to keep your sailboat . It is, obviously, important to make arrangements in advance.

George.

BETAMARINE
DIESEL PROPULSION & GENERATORS
Mobile: (786) 443 5567
Fax: (786) 221 3986

Old 01-23-2007
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
Hurricanes in Florida

Most marina's here in Florida are making boaters leave if a hurricane is forecast so you can either pay to pull it (and yards are now starting to require that masts be steeped as lots of boats were lost to the 'domino effect' during the '04/'05 seasons) and storm pulls are on waitng lists and go up to $60 per foot (Rybovich) or you can fly down and try to guess where the storm won't hit and high tail for that fictional place. For those of us who live here, if we get into another cycle of storms we're just considering pulling the boats for the high hurricane season... good luck, And as a p.s., my family are commercial fishermen out of Morehead City, they get hit stastically more than we do but there are alot more places to hide there! Good Luck..
Old 01-23-2007

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Attention, boaters: Secure your boats, or we'll do it for you and send you the bill.

That's the message many Florida marinas will be sending their slip holders this hurricane season with a new law that gives them more power to protect their properties.

Jeb Bush signed legislation Monday that allows marinas to secure or remove boats left at their docks when a hurricane is approaching and charge the vessel owners for the service.

"It's a step in the right direction toward protecting not only the marine facilities but the boats and the environment in these exposed areas," said Rick Morgan, president of North Palm Beach-based Old Port Cove Holdings, which owns three marinas in Palm Beach County.

The past two storm seasons destroyed docks across the state as the extreme winds tossed boats into pilings and piers. The solution, marine leaders say, is to get boats out of the water.

Many marinas already require boaters to have a hurricane plan, but they're not always followed.

And Florida law does not allow marinas to force boaters to leave their slips once a hurricane watch or warning has been issued. Boater advocates have argued that it's unsafe to push boaters out when a storm is rolling in.

Marine leaders have been pushing for two years for legislation to protect their waterfront businesses from the millions of dollars in damage that has led some to sell rather than repair.

In a compromise of sorts, the new law lets marina operators secure boats left behind and limits their liability if the vessels are damaged in the storm.

"The legislation goes a long way," said Ray Grazziotto, co-owner of Loggerhead Club and Marinas, which has eight South Florida properties. "Historically, even if you wanted to try to secure that guy's boat somehow... you run the risk of the guy coming back after the fact and saying you didn't do it right."

The law requires marinas to notify boat owners of the new rules. Industry leaders expect marinas across the state to revise their slip contracts in the coming months.

"You're going to see a lot of contracts changed," said David Ray, executive director of the Miami-based Marine Industries Association of Florida.

Morgan said his company's lawyers are reviewing his contracts in hopes of avoiding a three-peat.

Old Port Cove Marina had $1 million in damage after the 2004 storm season. Last year, Hurricane Wilma caused nearly the same when about 75 boats were left in their slips, Morgan said.

"If the marina were empty, would we have had that much damage? Absolutely not. Ninety percent of that damage was caused by boats in the facility being blown around," he said.

Morgan plans to phase in the new rules as contracts are renewed, but Dean Kubitschek isn't waiting.

As manager of the Fort Pierce City Marina, Kubitschek is working with the city attorney to write a new contract that will go to all slip holders as soon as possible.

Hurricanes France and Jeanne wiped out the marina in 2004, causing $13 million in damage to the property and another $13 million in damage to boats, Kubitschek said.

"With everything that's gone on the past couple of years, everybody knows it's coming," he said of the new contracts. "I don't think any boat owner would have a problem with me throwing an extra line on his boat."

But marinas can't take the extra steps until a storm watch is issued, which limits preparation time.

Some marinas may try to evacuate their slips a little earlier. Marinas can require boaters to move their vessels before a hurricane watch is issued, but it's not easy to trump the weatherman.

"I'd rather be accused of crying wolf and getting evacuation under way and have to eat my words than I would to sit here and do nothing and watch the marina get slammed again with another $1 million in damage," Morgan said.

Marine leaders hope the law will push more boaters to develop a plan for protecting their boat in a storm. But they fear it may make others more apathetic, said John Sprague, legislative chairman for the state marine industries association.

"Some people will take the opposite approach, and say, 'Let the marina deal with it and just bill me,' " he said.

END OF ARTICLE

BETAMARINE

Old 01-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I hope the law restricts what marinas can charge to do this, otherwise they've just given the marinas carte blanche to rape any boatowners not capable or willing to secure their boat themselves. Also, does it specify what does or does not qualify as taking appropriate measures to protect one's own boat??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2007

...could not comment as to the charges as I secure my own and others boats. As far as what is considered appropriate, .... if you follow well published guidelines and document your work i.e. pics; then, you've done as much as can be expected. This doesn't mean that some lawyer/insurance company won't try to dismiss your efforts, after all, they benefit from 20/20 hindsight (otherwise they would be unemployed )

BETAMARINE

Old 01-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
KC...lots of boaters (snowbirds and canadians) store their boats on the hard during hurricane season which is way safer than in the water but nothing is totally safe and insurance rates are sky high if available. If taking the boat north is not an option for you, I'd suggest checking around indian river area as that is popular for storage BUT reservations well in advance are required. I'd also suggest looking up around the Jacksonville/St. John River/St. Augustine area as those spots seem to be much less prone to getting hit.
Old 01-23-2007

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
thanks for the info
,that is what I thought as far as insurance, but it does answer some questions, like am I the only one that is afraid of having a boat in FL during the huricane season. Because I am a non resident I will have 90 days to move the boat or I have to pay sales tax, so I am planning on moving her , but to where exactly? She has 6.5 draft, is the icw an option from fl to NC? How long does it take and how much time should I allow ?
KC