SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Recommendation affordable 5" - 6" chart plotter

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  rbrasi 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there has been several of these posts in the past but let me explain....

About 6 years ago, I purchased a 36' cruising sailboat, spent just a ton of money on a unless refit, and looking back, some ... maybe most of it, was just not necessary and in the end, it wasted my time and money. I eventually sold the sailboat about a year and half ago due to the lack of time, kids and work schedule, etc... If I spent less time trying to make the sailboat into something that I really didn't need, I would probably would had more time to sail nd still have her.

So, I recently purchased a SC 31 and planning a trip to bring her to my homeport. I want to install a moderate GPS chart plotter that can fit on a vertical double swing arm from the cabin and extend out into the companionway, as I have a tiller.
I am not looking for any special functions, just a good reliable chart plotter to help navigate on trips and ensure I am not leading into a shallow area, no need for any extensive networking, etc...

Any recommendations in the 5" to 6" range, capable to be mounted on a swing arm and in the $400 to $500 range? (I am not looking for a handheld unit).

In reference to the intro, on my previous 36' sailboat, I purchased and installed a network system, 12" screen, autopilot, connected to my wind indicator, instruments... all in a pod assembly... I think I spent about $3,800 plus a autopilot and not to mention the amount of time on spent designing and installing it. And I only used it to motor out of the marina and back in... My lesson learn from the past.

thanks in advance.

Patrick

See less See more
#3 ·
The B&G sounds like one heck of a deal. Just make sure the map included will work for you.
You might want to check Ebay. I got mine, used, there for a price to good to pass up.
I also mounted mine in companion way drop board. Just something about cutting holes in the boat.

#5 ·
I have posted numerous time about instrument location in a cockpit. This decision is driven by HOW you sail and the architecture of your boat.

If you are not using AP and are at the helm... an instrument pod at the helm is sensible. If you using AP and don't steer from behind the helm... an instrument pod on the binnacle is largely unseen and wasted expense.

I solved this issue for me on my boat because I rarely manually steer and when I do I am in close quarters and don't need a plotter... I need eyeballs on the boats and hazards around.... channel markers and so forth

I mounted a small B&G Z7 into a coach roof mounted under the dodger little used winch next to the companionway. The install was easy peasy... a square rod (alum... could be plastic or wood)... to the T7 bracket which fits into the winch... a cig plug to an existing dash cig outlet. It can be rotated for viewing... removed when not used and stowed below.

Attachments

#6 ·
Assuming that you are in the US; if you have a smartphone, and are simply looking to move the boat to your home port, I suggest paper charts (I suggest these anyway) and one of the numerous apps that offer free NOAA Chart Updates. I use an app called MX Mariner on my Android smartphone. Many others use Navionics.

Forgive me for jumping on a couple of misconceptions about these apps; NO, you do not need to be in cell tower range for these to work, they use the internal GPS on your phone. NO, ActiveCaptain is NOT a navigation app.

#9 ·
SC 31 has a tiller and I believe the best location would be a vertical swing arm from the cabin that will extend out into the companionway. Also the location would be ideal as it would be mounted right a the navigational station in the cabin.
It is not just for the trip to my homeport but also to use locally. I think they can be useful especially getting to know a new area or exploring. Obviously nothing takes the place of actual maps.

Patrick

#13 ·
I looked over this Vulcan. I like it, but (and I will ask this question of the distributor tomorrow) can I interface my Raymarine instruments with it via NMEA? The manual reads: A device connected to the NMEA 2000 network should
automatically be identified by the system.
If this is indeed the case, then I'm in!

#16 ·
Hello,

I have the Vulcan 7. I bought it over the winter and installed it in the spring. I have not used it for navigating yet (I hope to have my first sail of the season tomorrow) but I have used it in the slip. I have Raymarine ST60 wind/speed/depth and Evo 100 Autopilot. Those instruments do communicate with the Vulcan. The B&G can display wind info, send waypoint info to the autopilot, etc.

Note that the ST60 instruments use Seatalk and I needed to install the ITC5 converter. The Evo 100 uses Seatalk NG (which IS NMEA200) so all I needed was a cable converter.

I also have a Simrad RS35 VHF/AIS and the Vulcan shares info with that as well.

Hope this helps,
Barry

#14 ·
Get a paper map and forget about it.

You know, I hope, that most of us learned to navigate pre-GPS.

My masthead wind speed just died (osprey sat on it) and I am debating whether to bother fixing it, as though I can't tell how hard it is blowing. A lame thing to need, really.

#15 ·
pdqaltair: yes, I agree. Paper maps should always be relied on but it is nice to have most of the information at your fingertips, at any time, needed or not. Per my initial email, I spent too much on a navigational system with my previous sailboat and now, I just want a compact efficient unit that can be used on trips but not always relying on it.

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.