SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   leak-proof keel stepped mast idea (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/28201-leak-proof-keel-stepped-mast-idea.html)

deckhanddave 01-23-2007 01:13 AM

leak-proof keel stepped mast idea

I just finished reading the thread about keel vs. deck stepped masts and started thinking about my own keel stepped setup. The one big drawback I see is the water intrusion into the cabin through the halyard holes. So here's my idea, what if you plugged the mast with a piece of foam or other material at the deck level and then drilled a small hole through the mast lavel with the foam. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in my mast but when you consider the size holes people drill to get internal halyards, one or two 5/8 holes doesn't seem too big at all. (I know, I know, yet another crazy one from the young newbie)

Giulietta 01-23-2007 02:09 AM

Forget it...doesn't work. Will allways leak. Thru sail slot, between deck collar....

Install mast in front head shower like I did. Still leaks but I don't care.

sailingdog 01-23-2007 06:30 AM

Also, if the foam absorbs any water...which it will, it will promote corrosion at the one place you really don't want it...the point where the mast is stressed by the deck. Good plan for spar failure if you do it that way.

The only real way to do it is to have only external halyards, and to have the mast be without unsealed holes... but that is both unrealistic and almost impossible...not to mention inconvenient as hell.

Giulietta 01-23-2007 07:22 AM

In one word....FORGET IT

T34C 01-23-2007 09:22 AM

Leakage on mine is pretty minimal. Halyards are external and step is the head like G- so doesn't matter if it does leak.

deckhanddave 01-24-2007 12:26 AM

my mast is almost in the head but regardless, its right on the bilge. Right after I posted that question I started thinking about aluminum corrosion, if I'd thought about it earlier, I wouldn't have even posted. The idea has been officially forgotten.

catamount 01-24-2007 08:42 AM

Wait, don't give up yet!!

In Richard Henderson's book, "Understanding Rigs and Rigging," he shows a diagram of something similar:

1. a balloon to fill the mast and block it off
2. poured closed-cell foam on top of the balloon to level it off
3. poured epoxy over the top of the foam.

The foam and epoxy are done with the boat healed so that the top surface is sloped to promote drainage, and this is done at the level of the lowest halyard exit, so no need to drill extra holes. Make sure that the conduit for you wiring extends well above the block.

I have not done this (yet) myself, so I can't comment on how well it works.

Giulietta 01-24-2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catamount
Wait, don't give up yet!!

In Richard Henderson's book, "Understanding Rigs and Rigging," he shows a diagram of something similar:

1. a balloon to fill the mast and block it off
2. poured closed-cell foam on top of the balloon to level it off
3. poured epoxy over the top of the foam.

The foam and epoxy are done with the boat healed so that the top surface is sloped to promote drainage, and this is done at the level of the lowest halyard exit, so no need to drill extra holes. Make sure that the conduit for you wiring extends well above the block.

I have not done this (yet) myself, so I can't comment on how well it works.

That will not work either...

look I have been looking at this problem for over 25 years now, ok??

Unless I am really stupid, which may be the case...THERE IS NO SOLUTION THAT WORKS...IT WOULD HAVE BEEN INVENTED LONG TIME AGO....water will still find its way on the outside and the mast foot cover leak by...

If you do it just bellow halyard exit....most boats have all electric pass well bellow that.....

And Martha Stewart type fixes only work for a week...but go ahead..do it

forget it....

Loewe 01-24-2007 10:11 AM

Another reason I have always been a fan of external halyards ;)
Regards,
Red

Giulietta 01-24-2007 11:17 AM

Even with externals it leaks....and those aren't practical at all.

As an example, my mast is 63' tall I have double halyards...just imagine.....

Leaking keel steps are like the rain...we can't avoid it, get an umbrella!!!