Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
If you get lost, just pull in somewheres and ask directions!
Sorry, had to.
Loran is still up too, for near shore stuff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Indicating that one has the ability to do something might ruffle a few feathers, but it is not as intimidating as IEDs or suicide bombers that one can't see until it is too late. Brinkmanship wasn't invented in Peking.
Old 01-23-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
You have got to be kidding. We didn't even have GPS then. Or the guided missles [sic] to shoot down a satelite [sic].
Perhaps you would like to back up your statement with some references as to the GPS time line.
Old 01-23-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
oh my God...the russians are coming...the russians are coming....

Chil out.....we still have to wait for the US to Invade France...
Russians, aren't they good guys now ? You know, like Tony Blair's newest bestest friend Muamar Gadaffi. The Chinese, on the other hand are vicious commo dictators .......Yeah, yeah, I know G, "chill out TD". You'd be right and my hearts just not in it today. I'm going back to sleep.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 01-23-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta

Chil out.....we still have to wait for the US to Invade France...

Then where are we gonna get our fries ??
Old 01-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
If the Chinese start shooting down GPS satellites, then small islands in the south Pacific might be the best place to head to...and having your sextant along is probably a good idea.
Astra IIIB, Freiberger Drum Sextant, an NC-77 celestial calculator, everything Bowditch and Mary Blewett ever wrote and lots and lots of plotting sheets live aboard.

Let's face it, unless you like to pretend you're in a private episode of "Star Trek", once offshore, you can get in valuable mental time plotting and fixing via sextant and DR. By all means *confirm* if you want via GPS (unless the BBC tells you some ******* war has broken out), but the pleasure of navigating to a distant port via celestial is not to be sneered at. I personally quite enjoy using even a simple hand-held compass to take bearings and to determine my speed without reference to the knotmeter (the impeller is often fouled) or the GPS. Keeps my mind alert.
Old 01-23-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
I just watched a special on Nova, Norwegian Ronald Amundson 1903 journey in the arctic. His compass was useless at the poles, with only his sextant, Amundson was the first explorer to cross the Northwest Passage. Amundson was also the first explorer to reach south pole.

Between the Chiness shooting down satelites and impending polar shift on the horizon thrashing our GPS and compasses, how on earth can anyone find comfort sailing off into the blue without a sextant?
Old 01-23-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Isn't GPS used by everyone, worldwide? If anyone wants it down, they have much worse in mind (but I imagine they'd rather use own own system against us) and I'd have to agree being at sea might be safer in general. Working the mind with older methods is a great way to stave off cruisheimers, and keeps one sharp in the event of systems failure. Doesn't make sense to down GPS anyway. Our armed forces would simply revert to the previous methods using laser guidance and continuous calculating impact computers, as used in the first Gulf War....plenty accuracy there. If nothing, GPS could be the space-based "Twin Towers" symbolically speaking, so I'm glad the gov't opted to beef up Loran, instead of shutting it down.
Old 01-23-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Jovert...
" beginning with the Transit system in 1965, which was developed to meet the navigational needs of submarines carrying Polaris nuclear missiles. These submarines needed to remain hidden and submerged for months at a time, but gyroscope-based navigation, known as inertial navigation, could not sustain its accuracy over such long periods. The Transit system comprised a half-dozen satellites that would circle the earth continuously in polar orbits. By analyzing the radio signals transmitted by the satellites--in essence, measuring the Doppler shifts of the signals--a submarine could accurately determine its location in 10 or 15 minutes. In 1973, the Department of Defense was looking for a foolproof method of satellite navigation. A brainstorming session at the Pentagon over the Labor Day weekend produced the concept of GPS on the basis of the department's experience with all its satellite predecessors. The essential components of GPS are the 24 Navstar satellites built by Rockwell International, each the size of a large automobile and weighing some 1,900 pounds. Each satellite orbits the earth every 12 hours in a formation that ensures that every point on the planet will always be in radio contact with at least four satellites. The first operational GPS satellite was launched in 1978, and the system reached full 24-satellite capability in 1993."

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-23-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
There are only 24 to shoot down? Size of a large automobile? Talk about a nice target. If you can plot within 1 to 2 miles with a sextant, why on earth would every blue water sailor NOT have a Sextant on board. I am wondering what do you suppose the percentae of cruisers who don't have or know how to use a sextant 25, 50, 75% or greater? To me it has got to be one of the ultimate instruments for peace of mind.

Last edited by JagsBch; 01-23-2007 at 10:13 PM.