SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

RIP Robert Persig

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  roverhi 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Though not sailing related but as an avid long distance m/c rider some may relate...

'Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' Author Robert M. Pirsig Dies At 88 : The Two-Way : NPR
I relate as a cyclist on the rice rockets similar to his Super Hawk, and really appreciated the book.

Don't apologize, he was and is sailing-related also, not that we readers should be surprised in the least:
https://www.spinsheet.com/sailor-and-author-zen-and-art-motorcycle-maintenance-robert-m-pirsig-dies]

A life well lived, it would seem.

#5 ·
I read Zen in my 20s and thought it was a bunch of pretencious twaddle. Re-read it in my 40s and came away with a deep appreciation for the exploration, but still befuddled with much of the later part of the book. I think I’ll re-read it again in my 60s … maybe then I’ll really get it all — or maybe I’ll return to my original assessment ;)

#6 ·
I read Zen in my 20s and thought it was a bunch of pretencious twaddle. Re-read it in my 40s and came away with a deep appreciation for the exploration, but still befuddled with much of the later part of the book. I think I'll re-read it again in my 60s … maybe then I'll really get it all - or maybe I'll return to my original assessment ;)
I felt the same about Zen, in my 20's. I didn't re-read it, but I thought I would give Lila a shot, thinking I had grown as much as you have.

I have not

:captain:

#7 ·
I kept six books on my desk at work:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (pink)
Pilgram at Tinker Creek
The Existential Pleasures of Engineering
Mark's Handbook for Mechanical Engineers
Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook
Websters New Collegiant Dictionary

All required continual re-reading and re-examination. The answer was always there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.