Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007

gunnyret92 is on a distinguished road
Ranger 33 holding tank

I would like to install a holding tank. Does anyone know what size I should get and where it would be installed?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The size of the holding tank is really determined by the number of people, the length of the trip, and the size of the space available. Raritan makes several different sizes of tanks, or you can make your own with fiberglass and plywood.

Ideally, it should be installed as close to the head as is possible. If you want to be able to empty the tank without the use of a pumpout boat, you should either mount it above the waterline so that it can gravity drain, or
mount it as low as possible for maximum stability and then install a pump and a y-valve in the pumpout deck fitting line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Another factor is the location of the boat (can you self pump offshore easily?) and the number of pump-out facilities in your locale.

If I were within three miles of legal "over the side" disposal, and also had the opportunity to pump-out at a marina or club, I would have at best a ten-gallon tank. My old boat, a Viking 33 very similar to a Ranger 33, has instead a 30 gallon tank under the V-berth that is way too big.

My newer boat has a 40 gallon tank plus a Henderson pump and a Lavac. This equals bigger flushes than the older boat's ITT/Brydon head, and thus ironically we pump out at the dock more often. But the newer boat is also plumbed so that we can pump out the tank overboard, or pump out the head overboard, or turn the damn head pump into an auxiliary manual bilge pump!

So at least there's that. Smaller is better if your situation can stand it. Who wants to haul around gallons of crap anyway?
Old 01-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

IIRC, the Lavacs are supposed to be more water efficient that most other marine heads, not less. That is one of their selling points.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Valiente-

IIRC, the Lavacs are supposed to be more water efficient that most other marine heads, not less. That is one of their selling points.
Yes, I know. I suspect my wife (for whom the Lavac was a BIG part of her "buy-in" on the boat) and my five-year-old son all get a little too much exercise on the pump handle. Compared to the plunger pump on the old and weepy Brydon, the results are dramatic and sustained. I think they are giving it ten strokes, which is perhaps overly fastidious, even for a 40 gallon holding tank. At sea, of course, I won't care.

You can simply flush into the holding tank with the lid OPEN and then close it and give a single pull to fill the bowl a bit (don't actually like water standing in there at "dock" depth.

We are still getting used to a lot of the boat's little ways. I like the Lavac, though, but I think I'll get a second pump, a second lid and a couple of lid gaskets.