SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rigging Advice' por favor (Reinell 26')

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  midwesterner 
#1 ·
Reinell 26' Rigging?
HI Y'all (I'm new to posting things on forums)

I recently bought a Reinell 26' Sailboat. But it didn't come with any [rigging]... not sure if I'm using this term correctly..

So what i mean is "the mast came with no cables to secure it!"
-my research says it's missing the Stays/Shroulds/Rigging.
But everytime I call a marine store I get the run around and no solutions.

I just want to know what to do? Like am I suppose to buy some air craft cable and secure/rig the mast up DIY@_@

Thanks!

#2 ·
It's called the standing rigging. You need to talk to a rigging shop. Your problem is you don't have the old ones. Most shops will make up replacements from the old ones, or at least measurements of the old ones. A large rigging shop may have data on your boat. If you can't find a local rigging shop, try Rigging Only.
Sailboat Rigging,Hardware & Accessories | Rigging Only's Online Store

#4 ·
No and Yes. You need to do use the right materials and without the old stuff as mentioned it will be hard to know the right measurements, has the rig been modified etc, surely you don't know. Ease into this, you may have to pay a rigger to start from scratch on cable size, ends etc. if you don't have all the parts it can really be a problem.
Then you need running rigging, all the lines that pull sails up etc. even if you have that stuff its probably pretty bad off $$

#5 ·
Ah nice. Thanks, i'm learning more now.

So Standing Rigging consist of cables to secure the mast upright.
And, Running Rigging is the ropes that you pull to control the sail.

Not sure what to expect on the costs for New Running Rigging or Standing Rigging.
But I'l price it out from the hardware store, or if I can get a Boat Store to give me some actual decent feedback.

Umm.. Let's say I have a piece of cable from the mast (connected with an eye-hook) that then runs down to the boat (connected with an eye-hook to a turbuckle) <<<< this way ia can tweak the tension on the fly? Is that the basics?

#6 ·
Yes there will be turnbuckles but the ends are different on ALL Boats and forget about the hardware store you're barking up the wrong tree here. Its harder than you think not knowing what you need and not having parts to switch out. If its a $2,000 Boat you could spend $3,000 on rigging. Hows the rest of the Boat?

#7 ·
Oh yikes! $3k on Rigging, eh?

The Hull is sound, the interior is okay. The main sail looks fine. The mast looks fine.
The boat which came with a trailer costed $1200. + $400 for an 8hp kicker outboard.

Umm, yeah all the rigging is missing and the jib sail is missing too.
Plus the fridge, stove is missing... but that doesnt matter so much.

#10 · (Edited)
Where are you?i did see a Reinell 26 for free or cheap anyway,Vancouver island on kijjiji,that one I thought had all the rigging I thought.,but it was out I a grove,probaly would all need to be replaced anyway..,your location might help someone to suggest a good rigger.....Ralph

#11 ·
Hey Ralph! Yup you are correct, I purchased the boat thourgh kiji van isle.

-Yeah it didnt come with all the rigging... unless I missed a hidden cabinet inside... But Yup I work in Vancouver and live full time in Duncan.

So Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, Sideny are all places i coudl travel for rigging equiptment.

#12 ·
Mmm,small world ,was looking at that one cause I am looking for a mast,but thought it looked to good to scrap the rest,....plus it's a ways from me to deal with..good luck with it, I hope to get out to Comox to do some sailing sometime, my Son lives there."..your lucky there is lots of boatyards around Van. .....Ralph

#13 ·
Heyhey, shoot me a msg if you guys are wanting another sailboat to join you guys.

Yeah, not sure why you'd "scrap the rest... but yeah the mast is in good shape (aluminum).

It feels like an interesting project, especially since I recently sold my CBR 600.. and feel like I need something to sink my teeth into.

You say good shops around Van, eh? I'll make some calls tmr... But I do know two people/shopps from van have jsut redirected me to another source (West marine...pushed me off to their usa outfit. And SteveRigging asked me for all the measurements, etc.) But I was hoping these shops would beable to look it up in their manuals or w.e... But if going to give the measurements to someone.. i fugure i might as well just order the length i need thru wholesale or hardware store.

#14 ·
I have been talking to Pro-Tech ,in Van. They seemed pretty good but we havnt figured it out yet,if you run into someone with a mast for a S2 7.9 let me know....,Have you looked at Sailboat data .com for the specs and dimensions of your boat ?..Ralph

#15 ·
Reinell 26' Rigging?
HI Y'all (I'm new to posting things on forums)

I recently bought a Reinell 26' Sailboat. But it didn't come with any [standing] rigging

..it's missing the Stays/Shroulds/Rigging.
But everytime I call a marine store I get the run around and no solutions.
The marine stores are probably not intending to give you a run around. Sailboat manufacturers made periodic changes to their sailboats over time to tweak things. Some had different versions of their masts and rigging, sometimes creating a modified "tall rig" version to achieve different sailing characteristics. Some of their suppliers for various components may have changed overtime, requiring slight changes in measurements and specifications.

Even if they had some manual that they could look specifications up in, they may not be the same on your boat. It's not like looking up parts for an old car.

Do you have the spreaders for the mast, that hold the shrouds outward? Is it possible to contact the original owner again and see if maybe they have the forestay and the port and starboard shrouds stored somewhere else? They are not things that people tend to throw away.

#16 ·
Wow, good point... I was treating it as an old car .. assuming there was an Haze Manual or something on it.
Yes I offered the previosu owner cash if he could find anything for it... and yeah why would someone throw it out... I bet its sitting in his basemet but he doesnt want to deal with the boat anymore... And an extra $100 isn't that intincing i guess@_@

I'll check tmr after work if the mast has the "spreaders" (I guess it would look like a 't')

#18 ·
What else is missing from that boat? What condition are the sails in?
If you have to spend 3-4 grand to make this boat sailable, it is not worth it. It is not a great design anyway. Sell it to someone without mast for use as a fishing boat.

#20 ·
I notice that there are a couple of your brand and size of boat listed on SailboatListings.com and BoatTrader. You could contact one of them and give them the measurements on the height of your mast, and if theirs is the same, they may be able to measure their stays and shrouds and give you exact measurements. Many sailors or nice like that.

I notice from a photo of the one on SailboatListings that it has a forestay, a back stay and two shrouds on each side, one lower and one upper. The upper shrouds run through spreaders that appear to be small sections of tubing mounted on the mast about 1/4 from the top. They may be attached to the mast in the folded down position.

Sailboat Data says that your forestay is about 33 feet long. For all six stays and shrouds, I estimate that you will need around 200 feet of stainless steel cable.

Dwyer Mast is one place that I have ordered some parts from. They will make your shrouds and stays for you, once you get the measurements. I did make a DIY shroud for my 16 foot sailing dinghy from cable and parts from the hardware store. Of the 5 hardware stores in my town, only one had a large crimping tool, sufficient to crimp the ferrels to make dead eye loops to attach to my boat. I think it will work on a boat as small as mine, and the fact that I am only doing lake sailing in fresh water. I don't imagine that what I have made would last long in a salt water environment.

#21 ·
You can also make rigging from dyneema rope. If you have a couple of people helping you, you can figure out the length of all your standing rigging using temporary rope. Just make sure it is a rope that does not stretch. Tie all sections of rope to the top of the mast (it's a masthead rig with a 33' forestay) and adjust other sections, making sure the side shrouds are even. Then you can measure all parts and send the dimensions to the rigger. With the turnbuckles and other hardware it should not cost more than $2,500.

#22 ·
I'd suggest this is not something a newbie sailor should DIY, and certainly not with substandard materials and techniques (i.e. hardware store wire)

There were two Reinell 26s, I believe, one an abomination and the other actually was a Gary Mull design. There's been one of those around here for decades, frequently for sale.. could be the same one. We actually looked at it in the early 80s, but couldn't get past the Mohair interior and, well, the Reinell name.

#23 · (Edited)
I was curious, since I need to replace a shroud on my sailing dinghy, so I requested a quote from Dwyer Masts, for standing rigging with estimated lengths for your Reinell 26. The total cost for your six shrouds, at the lengths I estimated, with a cable diameter of 5/32", is $693.70 total. Below are individual prices for stays in the lengths I estimated. Each quote includes the appropriate size forked eye end and turnbuckles factory swaged on the cable ends.

A larger gauge of cable
(3/16", 7/32", or 1/4") would increase the price a bit, but this gives you an idea of what you will need to spend, once you get accurate measurements. All you need is to use their diagram shown below, to show what you want them to build for you, the gauge of cable, and the length of each. My good news is that the one I need will cost me less than $120.

33 ft. Forestay $114.70
42 ft. Backstay 124.60
36 ft. Upper shroud $118.00
36 ft. Upper shroud $118.00
28 ft. Lower shroud $109.20
28 ft. Lower shroud $109.20
UPS shipping would be additional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.