SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Whch anchor is better? Delta or Mushroom?

5K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I'm just kidding!! We haven't had a good argument over ground tackle for at least a week and I miss all the love...

Chris

#3 ·
Obviously, someone has been eating the shrooms.. ;)

#6 · (Edited)
Don't forget guys..

It's the downward pressure of the water on the rode that actually holds the boat! So I vote for the plastic coated mushroom so it won't mar your decks. Perhaps we could build a, one off, plastic coated cynder block for our buddy Solent???

Remember this thread....

solent said:
Reading theses posts explain why at some achorages yachts are swinging into the position of other yachts. There is a certain amount of rode required depending on the depth of water. The anchor is not what holds the boat, it is the water pressure pressing down on the surface of the rope as the boat pulls on it.

#10 ·
Cruisingdad said:
Rock and rope. It is much cheaper and can be replaced anywhere in the world.
Yes, but with all the choices of rock types out there, it's very confusing to me. Slate? Granite? Marble (only if you have an Oyster)? Help!

#12 ·
halekai36 said:
It's the downward pressure of the water on the rode that actually holds the boat! So I vote for the plastic coated mushroom so it won't mar your decks. Perhaps we could build a, one off, plastic coated cynder block for our buddy Solent???
With the physics outlined previously, you don't need an anchor at all. All you need to do is attach a small fishing weight, or say, the keys to the boat. Just enough to get the rode to sink, then with the pressure of the water you're set!!!:D

If this doesn't work you've always got Nomads idea as back-up. See, redundancy built-in!

#15 ·
T34C said:
With the physics outlined previously, you don't need an anchor at all. All you need to do is attach a small fishing weight, or say, the keys to the boat. Just enough to get the rode to sink, then with the pressure of the water you're set!!!:D
Please Sir, new to this, my boat's key rings have one of those floating things to prevent them from sinking.

Could you please explain how I can do?? will it work?

Also I would like to know, if the boat is painted yellow will the anckor bite more?

I just bought a sailboat (yes my first boat ever), a GPS, and a sextant, and am leaving tomorrow to NEw Zealand via the Horn, west to east. My boat is an 1980 Optimist with a gasoline tank, and a roller furler with no sail.

One more quastion, do you think the GPS will delete itself and the shroud break if I don't flush my head and replace my packing?

#16 ·
Due to the .....

Due to the sharp angles of slate it is the prefered choice over all other rocks for anchoring. The slate will dig in and set when other rocks won't. A round granite boulder is sort of like a farmers plow and will just dig a trench on the bottom. The best rock anchor however it the slate & round granite combo anchor. It's called a ROC-NITE. With the round granite boulder acting as a roll bar for the slate the ROC-NITE always lands in the perfect position for a proper set!!!!!

#18 ·
halekai36 said:
Due to the sharp angles of slate it is the prefered choice over all other rocks for anchoring. The slate will dig in and set when other rocks won't. A round granite boulder is sort of like a farmers plow and will just dig a trench on the bottom. The best rock anchor however it the slate & round granite combo anchor. It's called a ROC-NITE. With the round granite boulder acting as a roll bar for the slate the ROC-NITE always lands in the perfect position for a proper set!!!!!
How about anchoring to an emerging submarine??? I know a Japanese Boat recentely tried to do it..and suceeded.....any thoughts.... any one??? please....

#19 ·
Mr. T34c (for classic)

I have 3 questions, that I would like to ask the forum:

1)What percentage of US corn acreage is planted to identity preserved (IP) and specialty corn? Which states produce the most specialty corn? What about Ohio?

2)Is acreage increasing for IP corn varieties? If so, why?

3)What is the range of premiums for IP corn varieties?

One more if I may. My aunt is currentely travelling to the US on her row boat, to meet with some nice man in a lake somewhere, he promissed marriage to her. Does it help her sailing faster if she shaves her legs and arm pits?

Thanks, anyone?? please??

#20 ·
Giulietta said:
Please Sir, new to this, my boat's key rings have one of those floating things to prevent them from sinking.

Could you please explain how I can do?? will it work?

Also I would like to know, if the boat is painted yellow will the anckor bite more?

I just bought a sailboat (yes my first boat ever), a GPS, and a sextant, and am leaving tomorrow to NEw Zealand via the Horn, west to east. My boat is an 1980 Optimist with a gasoline tank, and a roller furler with no sail.

One more quastion, do you think the GPS will delete itself and the shroud break if I don't flush my head and replace my packing?
Let me first say congratulations on the new boat!!! Certainly an upgrade from some of those Euro-Porto tubs I keep hearing about!:D Yes your yellow boat will anchor much better than its white gelcoat cousins. The surface texture of the paint creates much more drag an thus it could be held with an electrical cord (16 gage min.)

How exactly does one go from Portugual to NZ from west to east. You may want to try turning the GPS ON. (Depress the button that says <power> ) if you do decide on the scenic route it s a good thing you chose the boat you did as you will have to sail it backwards once you cross the equator for your GPS to function properly. (Please also remember to hit the <reset> button on your sextant at the exact time of crossing over. You may also need to invert you sextant in the wouthern hemishere to compensate for the reverse rotation of the earth. (Yes it does start turning the other way after you cross equator) Best Wishes and good luck.

By the way should you decide not go to NZ you may be able to sell your boat to someone else who may want to circumnavigate in it!:D :D

Respectfully,

T

#21 · (Edited)
T34C said:
Let me first say congratulations on the new boat!!! Certainly an upgrade from some of those Euro-Porto tubs I keep hearing about!:D Yes your yellow boat will anchor much better than its white gelcoat cousins. The surface texture of the paint creates much more drag an thus it could be held with an electrical cord (16 gage min.)

Dear Mr. T, thank you for your kind words, and prompt response. Yes we are very proud of or "yellow menace" as we decided to call her, now.... we changed her name, am I to expect bad lick???

How exactly does one go from Portugual to NZ from west to east.

We carry the boat thru Africa, then on the water again, any Chinese in Africa that might send a missile to the African satelite??, once we cross Africa and enter the Panama canal, we will then attach our bowline to any boat, and cross in their wake, before his feathering prop closes

You may want to try turning the GPS ON. (Depress the button that says <power> ) if you do decide on the scenic route it s a good thing you chose the boat you did as you will have to sail it backwards once you cross the equator for your GPS to function properly.

Our boat does not have batteries but we have a foot pedal generator that we use, what charger do you recommend?? and shall I connect the batteries in series or in parallel??

(Please also remember to hit the <reset> button on your sextant at the exact time of crossing over. You may also need to invert you sextant in the wouthern hemishere to compensate for the reverse rotation of the earth. (Yes it does start turning the other way after you cross equator) Best Wishes and good luck.

Thank you...one more question....what books shall I read??? We bought the autobiography of Paris Hilton is that a good navigational book???

By the way should you decide not go to NZ you may be able to sell your boat to someone else who may want to circumnavigate in it!:D :D

Yes, the brings me to the next question, what boat is good to circunnavigate coastaly????
Respectfully,

T

Sooooo many questions, so many threads.....where shall I start????

Can I navigate the ICW zig-zagging between the shallows and the not so shallows??? Our mast is 3' tall...my question is : will people throw eggs at us when we pass under the bridges????

#22 ·
The Roc-nite aint worf a dam. da best anchor ever was the Zug. He stood more upright than any of the other models so could anchor in upta five feet of water the Zug also had bigger feet then the others and a more robust neck to tie the vine off to. The only time we drug the Zug it was blowin harder than a T-Rex with a sinus infection. and frum every deriction includin straight down and even then he would of held if xok had been watchin the breathing reed and not run over it darn shame losen the Zug like at. What an anchor it was even self retrievin althogh in cold water tou might have to wack it with the bronto bone vang to get it off the bow. I shure wishI could find a cheap supply of Zugs! and a couple ibexs to make a new jib out of.

Zog

#23 ·
For you, I have a special product. An all new anchor-polymer for small craft. It comes in handy 5 litre self-disolving-plastic containers. Anchoring is easy, just gently poor a quantity on the sea all around your boat. The anchor polymer works almost instantly, solidifying the water and anchoring your boat to any convenient bottom. Repeat after 8 hours to prevent dragging.

For larger vessels, we have a more advanced product that freezes the water to high quality ice down to a depth of 100 m.

#24 ·
If you're going to use a rock anchor... I highly recommend using pumice... since it is nice and light and easy to handle. :D

#25 ·
soul searcher said:
The Roc-nite aint worf a dam. da best anchor ever was the Zug. He stood more upright than any of the other models so could anchor in upta five feet of water the Zug also had bigger feet then the others and a more robust neck to tie the vine off to. The only time we drug the Zug it was blowin harder than a T-Rex with a sinus infection. and frum every deriction includin straight down and even then he would of held if xok had been watchin the breathing reed and not run over it darn shame losen the Zug like at. What an anchor it was even self retrievin althogh in cold water tou might have to wack it with the bronto bone vang to get it off the bow. I shure wishI could find a cheap supply of Zugs! and a couple ibexs to make a new jib out of.

Zog
Dear Soul,

could you write that in english, please!!!!:D :D :D

We are very interested in the Zug, do you have videos of it being pulled by an army tank???

#26 ·
Idiens said:
For you, I have a special product. An all new anchor-polymer for small craft. It comes in handy 5 litre self-disolving-plastic containers. Anchoring is easy, just gently poor a quantity on the sea all around your boat. The anchor polymer works almost instantly, solidifying the water and anchoring your boat to any convenient bottom. Repeat after 8 hours to prevent dragging.

For larger vessels, we have a more advanced product that freezes the water to high quality ice down to a depth of 100 m.
Would this be a new version of, or a hybrid of the traditional storm oil!! If the container is self-disolving, do I really have to pour it around the boat or can I just chuck it over the side and let the container spread it around for me?

G- Standby, I have to beat the children and duct tape them into bed before responding!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.