SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Funny Stuff ... Rod Stewart is not a Sailor after all...

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mikeedmo 
#1 ·
Did you guys know that Rod Stewart actually has a music video for his song "Sailing?"

I started watching it and then started laughing about half way through when it became quite aparant that this video was filmed on a big power boat :(

What's funnier is that it seems like the director put a little effort into disguising this fact by having sailboats in the background, and avoiding showing any parts of the boat except the pulpit, lol.

Doesn't that wake look a little suspicious for a sail boat? And the huge bow? Come on Rod, this is cheap!

Kacper

#3 ·
Kacper said:
Did you guys know that Rod Stewart actually has a music video for his song "Sailing?"

I started watching it and then started laughing about half way through when it became quite aparant that this video was filmed on a big power boat :(

What's funnier is that it seems like the director put a little effort into disguising this fact by having sailboats in the background, and avoiding showing any parts of the boat except the pulpit, lol.

Doesn't that wake look a little suspicious for a sail boat? And the huge bow? Come on Rod, this is cheap!

Kacper
Hey you have to admit it is OK, since in English, even if a power boat leaves the harbour. IT IS SAILING.......so he's safe....he is sailing:)

In Portuguese sailing is only if the boat moves powered by the wind. If you go in a power boat you are "boat motoring" roughly translated....we don't get confused here....

#4 · (Edited)
While it could be a really big cat, I seriously doubt it... A big cat, like Safari, a Gunboat 62, could put out a wake like that... :D (go to the safari website and click on the video page if you want to see a funny video... ;) )

It would have been more difficult to film the video on a sailboat...given that any monohull would probably be heeled over 15-20˚ or so. Also, given the age of the video...they may have needed AC power, which is usually available on most powerboats, but not so much on sailboats at that time, to power the sound and video equipment... ;)

I like the Wikipedia definition of sailing.

#8 · (Edited)
TrueBlue-

I stand corrected... It looks like it was one of the first to air on MTV back in 1981... and was shot in 1975 according to this wikipedia entry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.