Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Cutter as Sloop?

I've noticed that a staysail adds about 1 knot of speed to the typical 40' cutter. I've also found the staysail to be somewhat of a pain in the ass.

Here's my issue: I'm eying a Valiant 40 cutter as my next step up, but I don't like cutter rigs. I love everything else about the Valiant.

I prefer a sloop with a roller furling jib and a roller furling code zero. Would I be crazy to re-rig the Valiant this way? (I suppose I would have to consult with a professional rigger. Just thought I would run it by you guys first.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have seen a number of the Valiant 40's that are primarily used for coastal cruising adapted to permit the detachment and storage of the foot of their jibstay. This permits them to sail as a sloop with a big genoa in coastal conditions, but to then to reattach the jibstay and use a smaller headstaysail on the headstay furler. I suggest that you bounce this off of Bob Perry first and then your local sailmaker. Bob says that he charges a nominal fee for a serious consultation but my experience is that he will generally respond to a considerately brief e-mail exchange without charge.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
Removing the forestay (the stay that the (fore)stay is attached wont change a cutter to a sloop ... as the mast will still be at about 45-50% LOA unlike a sloop which carries its mast much more forward than a cutter.

Removable forestays are just as much a PITA as leaving the forestay up as the Bayfield lever attachments never really allow you easily correctly tension the forestay. Either the forestay is too loose so the lever can work well, or too tight (needed for good stay tension) which doesnt allow the lever to operate well.

I have a Perry designed cutter of similar geometry and rigging to a Valiant 40. Ive learned to love that staysail/jib-genoa combo.

If you are referring to tacking problems of the genoa, etc. fouling on the forestay ... thats easily remediated by using a tricing line (small line from cockpit to block on stem then back to near the clew of the genoa) on the foot of the genoa and keeping the staysail up in all winds above ~5 kts. The 87 AC boats used tricing lines to get their genoas around the babystay/masts during that entire series - If you ever get a video of the 87 AC matches, watch the tricing lines in action.

Normally, during a tack you release the staysail *after* you release the genoa sheet and allow the genoa to slide over the staysail ... if it begins to 'hang'/foul simply pull the tricing line which 'bunches' the genoa forward and through between the forestay and the headstay. (Better yet is fly the staysail from a self-tacking clubfoot or *hoyt-boom*, then you can forget about resetting the stay after tacks/gybes.) Quoting Bob Perry ... "the hoyt boom is probably one of the best things you can add to a cutter rig" ... especially if well set/shaped sails is important to you. The only real 'problem' I find in tacking a genoa 'through' is in very light winds when there isnt enough wind energy nor momentum of the genoa to get it through between the two stays .... and thats about the only time I disconnect the forestay and drop the staysail. For long term tacks/gybes with no staysail flying simply furl the genoa part way on its foil before maneuvering.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.