Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007

jsiegel88 is on a distinguished road
It's sad...

It's really sad that Karen's posting was cut. It's sad that you all assume we're up to evil and no good. I admit that I haven't posted here myself...but it's all just so sad.

We're cruisers ourselves. We put up www.activecaptain.com to provide a tool for cruising. It's free. We're not trying to grab email addresses - geez, isn't that what a Yahoo account is for anyway? We want registration to stop potential spamming and we'd like a little better control over changes made to the data and know that there's a person behind it.

There is no advertising on the site. The whole thing costs me money. The reason that there hasn't been a response to the postings here is that we've had over 500 registered users and 4,000 edits to work on. The response has been incredible. Here it is now at 11:30 pm and I'm checking on the response on this site. It's sort of different here...

So go talk among yourselves and concoct your conspiracy theories about how we're trying to ruin the world by providing tools to share data. Ultimately, it's just makes you look, well, a little sad...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jsiegel...for the record, it wasn't me who cut Karen's post. But..when you come into a community and your first and ONLY post is self promoting and requires community members to hand in their e-mail to get a look....you shouldn't be surprised when you get booted. We'd have to be pretty naive to believe what any first time poster says these days...especially when the post want to lead us somewhere else. It may be sad...but so is spam and phishing. Take a tip from you FOR PROFIT competitor and let everyone explore...you can require those who want to add content to register, just like we do here. Good luck with your site.
Old 01-27-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but, nothing is free jsiegel. I don't have use for your site right now, so I won't be signing up, but good luck to you. I also noticed you managed to get a plug for your site in again. Oh, and registration doesn't stop spamming. If they want in , they get in.

Vaya con Dios
Old 01-29-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiegel88
It's really sad that Karen's posting was cut. It's sad that you all assume we're up to evil and no good. I admit that I haven't posted here myself...but it's all just so sad.

We're cruisers ourselves. We put up www.activecaptain.com to provide a tool for cruising. It's free. We're not trying to grab email addresses - geez, isn't that what a Yahoo account is for anyway? We want registration to stop potential spamming and we'd like a little better control over changes made to the data and know that there's a person behind it.

There is no advertising on the site. The whole thing costs me money. The reason that there hasn't been a response to the postings here is that we've had over 500 registered users and 4,000 edits to work on. The response has been incredible. Here it is now at 11:30 pm and I'm checking on the response on this site. It's sort of different here...

So go talk among yourselves and concoct your conspiracy theories about how we're trying to ruin the world by providing tools to share data. Ultimately, it's just makes you look, well, a little sad...
Geesh dude - lighten up - I mean the OP has not posted since - that's typical of spammers and trolls - so how are we to blame if a "normal" poster has a mannerism that implies spammer or troll? Relax and stop letting everything bother you - you'll live longer.
Old 01-29-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
OK... just because I felt that Jeff and Karen Siegel were jumped on a bit too quickly for my liking (it's hard to promote a new business) I checked out their site (and gave a throwaway valid e-mail address just in case). It's actually a pretty nice interface, and I can see that the more people who use it, the more beneficial it will get. They've done a nice job. I have no relation to the site whatsoever.

Everyone here needs to lighten up a bit I like to believe that the world is generally good and that there are only a few people out there who try to ruin it for us. I have yet to see a post on Sailnet (that wasn't obvious spam) be spam. Just my two cents...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-29-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Had they responded in a more timely fashion, to legitimate concerns about giving e-mail address, I doubt anyone would have been that bothered by the posting. But....when it walks like a duck...you do tend to think it's a duck.

Now, had they posted the information in the context of an applicable thread, rather than just a self-promotional post, it probably would have been recieved much better as well.

For whatever reason, they didn't choose to do any of those things. And while it's never good to jump to conclusions, anyone with any internet experience, is rightfully leery of anything with the appearance of spam.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 01-29-2007

Yeah, my post was a little over-the-top. I admit it. It was just so shocking to spend the week getting flooded with responses like labatt's, only to find a much different spin on it here and rec.boats.*

I'm not the only one who noticed it either - check out www.panbo.com, probably the premiere marine electronics blog/site - I noticed a PS regarding SailNet...

You know, when I pull into an anchorage, it always seems that I'm able to have great interactions with the other boaters I find there. Some have even become lifelong friends. Shouldn't SailNet be the equivalent of an electronic anchorage? Shouldn't it be a place where you generally trust the others around you? We'd all probably live longer with that mindset.
Old 01-29-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
To take your analogy a bit further Jeff, when you pull into an anchorage, you always drop the hook with respect to those who were there first. So when you sail into here, and your first post is one of self-promotion, it tends to rub people wrong. Kind of like dropping your anchor a bit too close.

While I certainly agree that this should be like an "electronic anchorage", the problem is that online you aren't dealing face to face with someone, but with an anyomous user. And, that does make a difference.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-29-2007

I am deeply sorry if my wife's original posting offended anyone or rubbed anyone the wrong way. This is an active site and we thought it would be a good place to get the word out as people here would be interested.

You know though, when a boat drops their hook too close to me, I don't usually give them the finger as my first interaction. You never know if that person making the small miscalculation isn't your new best friend or the person who will help you when your anchor is fouled when you're leaving.
Old 01-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nah...I think the anchoring thing is not a good analogy....it's more like when a tramp you've never seen before takes a dump on your driveway and leaves...you get rid of the crap and make sure he never comes back.