Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
Actually, the government, medicine, etc., was already in place long before the Greeks. What was needed was for time to elapse to let the "grand plan" evolve. Essentially, this was able to be done by hijacking of the ancient knowledge by those who wished it kept from the rest of us. Long story short, history is nothing but the tale those few wish to have told to keep the rest of us in the dark - it is the tale of how they came to power (and the mechanisms that were used, like governments) and how they keep it, despite what it appears. In large generality of course. But I think that's a topic for another time and place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Actually Democracies did not exist until the Greeks came along. Hence the Greek word democracy. It means government by the people. Greece had a functioning democracy before Christ that was squashed by the Romans in 100 b.c. They later copied it in Florence Italy 1000 years later. Before Greek democracy the world was ruled by dictators and monarchs.
pigslo

Last edited by pigslo; 01-27-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigslo
Actually you are all wrong. It was the Greeks that essentially gave us medicine, our government,philosophy,theater, science, and I think sheep.
pigslo
Pigs- Is it too late to try and return a few of those?
Old 01-27-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Talking Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
Mitch- They made the voyage in a boat made of wood and ox hide. Would you want to be sober crossing the N. Atlantic in that?

I'm pretty sure we will soon learn that Jesus is actually a Portuguese name and that they have found evidence of Adam and Eve in Porto.
T34 -- You have something there. In fact, they probably had to be drunk to get on a boat like that to begin with. And Giu is looking up a reference for Adam and Eve right now in the Portuguese version of the Bible.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-27-2007

conrat66 is on a distinguished road
Curious about senior member junior member etc so where does one find the key to this sailnet chart chart #1 questions dumb yes but I am old if not a senior member senior moments and have looked in what seemed like all the obvious site spots HELP for more site map info.......... I've been sailing with some guys wife who did a post recently We are having a ball in the virgin Is but she forgot the damn blender and I'm trying to find out how to get in touch wwith his e-mail so he can send the blender snip snip ........
Old 01-27-2007

conrat66 is on a distinguished road
General stuff..............some time back ??????? There was a member Big Red or similar name fighting the anchor police Does anyone know what happend to BR????????????????? thanks again this is what happens when I am not cant be SAILING Need to get off my lazy a.......... and get the boat together..............
Old 01-27-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch
T34 -- ... in the Portuguese version of the Bible.
You know that is the only true version. In fact, I think the original plan for vatican city was in Portugal!!
Old 01-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch
Giu -- The real question is this: does anyone on here (besides you obviously) care???????????????
Sailor, sorry for the long post...I know you were joking...were you?? I hope.

look, I didn't post this to raise attentions, or to brag how good we are or were, for that matter.
It was more as a curiosity, for those who want to know about it, and I thought it might interest my American friends, more than me...
Over here, unfortunately, our rich long History is all we have left, and we are very proud of it...our history touches a little bit of every other Country in the world, even the US, (several times, more than you know) an example....do you know that in in 1864 in Bahia, Brasil, (neutral to the war) the C.S.S. Florida was kiddnaped by the Union Navy Vessel Wachusett, and became a Union ship. Due to "political pressures" from Europe, (mainly England who secretly built and sold the to the Confederates) she was sunken on purpose while at anchor, so the Union wouldn't have to return her to the Confederates...Portugal was helping the US, in Europe holding the British, and in Brasil (colony) as Brasil wanted war because of the happening...there are more, such as the independence of Mexico, the famous Tea Rebellion in Boston..our history interlaces with most everyone else's...in Japan, they say ARIGATO, (thank you) and that comes from the Portuguese OBRIGADO (thank you)...

Now why should it interest???

I went to Philadelphia once, and waited in line for 30 minutes, to look at a 300 year old Bell (that wasn't even well built because it cracked doing what it was supposed to do!!!!), when the bell in our local church is at least 600 years older than that one, and rings everyday 4 times a day....however, I respected it, because it meant a lot to a lot of people (you)...if I wasn't interested...I would change the "channel" and see the sports channel.

I toured Valley Forge, Harrisburg, Gettysburg (later, I fell in love with American civil was stuff, read a lot of books such as Gods and Generals, the Killer Angels, you name it.....why??? I found it interesting....but above all, I respected it, for what it meant,

does my neighbor in Portugal care about Grant and Stonewall Jackson....he doesn’t, the difference is, by my choice, I made my self mentally richer by knowing about all of your History and will pass it onto my kids, so they inherit some of this also….because the man dies, but what he did stays…..

a final note, Jesus was not Portuguese, far from it, and every Country in the World has their version of the Bible, for your information….even the Zulus in South Africa have their version of the Bible….even you have one…we all do, well except the Islamic…but that’s another history…

And Portugal, well not the birth of civilization…but very important in building it….so you could now have tea, forks, the compass, the astrolabe, charts, maps, the stay sail…and so on…and so on….

Conrat66…saty off the sauce….get some coffee…
Old 01-28-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Well said, G. Although I enjoy reading fiction, I much prefer reading biographies of the great explorers. The stories of the explorations of the North and South Poles and the Northwest Passage are incredible tales of daring and hardship. The exploration of the Pacific by Capt. Cook not only mapped the Pacific, it debunked old myths, and set the stage for the Bounty Mutiny, and Bligh's epic 3600 mile voyage in a leaky small boat. Many people don't realize that Bligh was a great sea captain of the time, who skippered one of the ships that accompanied Cook during his exploration. That voyage was the first to use an accurate, practical chronometer for navigation, and the first to successfully experiment with dietary methods for staving off scurvy. Most people only know of the part of the Bounty story about the mutiny, but if they would read the complete trilogy, as well as the voyage of the Pandora, they'd find much more fascinating reading. The story of the Shackleton expedition is one of the great tales of man struggling against nature. Many people aren't aware that Columbus was jailed after his discoveries, and that he had to fight for many of the benefits that were promised him. Then there is the story of the Spanish Armada, and the accounts of the great battles between British and French ships of war, where they came alongside each other and used grappling hooks to hold the ships together. They posted snipers in the rigging to keep the other side below decks, and then fired their cannons at each other, point blank, until they shot away the whole ship's structure, causing the upper decks to collapse onto the lower decks. The last one to yield under that withering fire was the winner. For real, honest-to-goodness excitement, history beats the heck out of the staged car chases in current movies.
Old 01-28-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
G,
Who is the author of the Colombo/Colon/Columbus book ? What's it called ? This I have to read.

Off topic , but regarding the American Civil War have you seen the Ken Burns documentary put out by the PBS network some years (1990ish)back? I'd guess that you have seen it but just in case you havn't here is the link to PBS. http://www.pbs.org/civilwar/ . It is one of, if not the most, moving documentaries on any war that I have ever seen. Superb underates the thing. BTW, almost anything Burns has done is worth watching.

Cheers

TD

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.