SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Piracy (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/28355-piracy.html)

Cruisingdad 01-26-2007 03:07 PM

Piracy

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an increase in piracy as of late? Everytime I turn around I am hearing about some piracy here or theft there? I can only imagine that if Chavez has his way and the world economy slips again, it will really get bad. Word is that Venezuela is quickly taking over Columbia for the NO-NO zone.

THoughts?

- CD

PS When I say piracy, I refer to any act of unauthorized boarding of a foreighn flagged vessel in international or foreighn waters. Most piracy does not involve people getting hurt (though it often does).

sailingdog 01-26-2007 03:19 PM

CD-

AFAICT, most of the major problems with piracy are aimed at large commercial ships, rather than small sailing craft. A megayatch might have some serious problems, but I doubt that most pirates will bother with a <40' sailboat.

Cruisingdad 01-26-2007 03:27 PM

Unfortunately, I am not very good at keeping articles, but I have been hearing just the opposite. Off the cast of Africa or something, it is the commercial ships (and seems curiously well planned), but in the Carribean, I have been reading many instances of piracy of private yachts off of Venezueal, Tortola, la Margarita, and other islands down south. The incidents on the US coasts and Bahamas are as low as ever... but elsewhere I have read many articles on the increasing piracy of yachts. There was even a large writeup in CW, Ocean Nav, or Latt & Att (I cannot remember which) just recently on the dangers of cruising Venezuela. If you think about it, a typical cruiing boat will easily have 20k worth of gear on board, they typically are not armed, and have small crews. Easy targets that can dissapear.

I did not mean this to sound allarming to anyone; I am not alarmed, just curious if others have felt the increasing trend of piracy as of late.

- CD

PS Mark my words: If/when Chavez makes Venezueal another little USSR or Cuba, it will really get bad.

CapnHand 01-26-2007 03:32 PM

You could outrun them if you had a Macgregor.

sailingdog 01-26-2007 03:33 PM

Good point about the political climate...

CapnHand- If you're in a MacGregor out on the Bluewater needed to get to Venezuela.. you've already proven you're crazy and they won't come anywhere near you.

Cruisingdad 01-26-2007 03:37 PM

SD - you are so mean!

Giulietta 01-26-2007 03:38 PM

I heard the Pirates use MacGregors (*)!!!:D

Gee if neurotic Wind hears about pirates, then he'll never sail again.......

(*) Disclaimer: The mention of Macgreggor crafts, by the writer of this post, his family and associations, does not imply his dislike for such vessel. The poster hereby disclaims any possible remark arriving form the misinterpretation of this post, and reserves the right to dispute in an European Union court of law.
Furthermore, the use of the word Mac, was only used to imply a fast vessel on water, moved by internal combustion engine, or by kinetic application of cold moving masses of air.
Any possible verbal confrontations related to or applied by owners and or associations of owners of Macgreggor vessels will be ignored.

sailingdog 01-26-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
SD - you are so mean!

CD-

It may be mean, but I notice you're not denying that it is true... :D

Cruisingdad 01-26-2007 03:51 PM

As TrueBlue would say: Denr will chime in with some sage advice. Who needs me? I need not say anything.

sailingdog 01-26-2007 03:56 PM

CD- If you weren't here...who would sing the praises of the Catalinas.. :D