Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

can you tell me the difference between slab reefing and jiffy reefing?

Kacper
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Spelling... They're basically the exact same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Okay ,looks like I'm about 30 days away from buying a boat I've been looking at quite a few cruisers for sale here.

Haven't looked at any Catalina's though, lol

Right now my choice is between...

(keep in mind prices are in Canadian dollars not US)

1968 Spencer 31' "$25,000"

Great condition, fin keel, solid fiberglass hull, although needs new main. If I were to take her to Fiji like I'm planning to, I'd have some things to install like a fridge, wind-vane, and possibly radar to make my girlfriend feel safer on board on that Ocean passage.

The only thing I don't like about this boat is that it has a gasoline engine. Althought I probably wouldn't use it much, I don't like gasoline. The engine is virtually brand new.

Comments? What you prefer? Diesel or Gas?

This boat has been sailed across the Pacific by previous owners.

Very sturdy.

1984 Spencer 35' "$49,000"

Awesome condition, completely re-done interrior with beautiful wood-work. Full keel. Diesel.

This boat is full equiped for blue water sailing and comes with EVERYTHING. Radar, GPS, VHF, Fridge Chart plotters, charts for the whole pacific, flares, life jackets, good sails, whisker pole, dinghy, etc.... everything. Is in superb condition from what I saw.

The previous owner sailed offshore and outfitted the whole vessel for offshore sailing.

I could possibly put in an offer for $44,000, as that's as high as I'm willing to go.

And choice 3,...

1968 Discovery 32' "$20,000"

Fiberglass. Diesel engine. Bulb keel boat. The boat is simple, in great condition on the inside and outside, and has quite a few electronics on it (no radar though)...

I like the feel of it, and it is definitely a more visually appaeling boat than the spencers.

So... the choice is coming to... Do I splurge and get the "big boat" with the full keel perfect for the sailing I intend to do through the Pacific... or.... get one of the smaller blue water boats with the fin keels and bulb keels that will probably require a few more addons.

The big boat will probably not cost me much extra in terms of add ons. The older boats might need repairs in a few years as well, who knows.

What do you think?

Does anyone own a Spencer?
Old 02-07-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
the bigger the better, plus, oneis a '68, the other is a '84...
without other rash generalizations, I'd go with the newer, larger one.

but thats just me, for that and a toonie, you can get a Tim Hortons.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with Paul, with one caveat. If your total budget is $44000, then, I would go with one of the other boats. You really need to leave a bit of your budget for upgrades, modifications, refitting and repairing the boat. Even a "perfect" boat is going to need some modifications to work for you... since you aren't the one who set it up, but will be the one sailing it now.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-07-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
As to the larger boat, $49,000 is the asking price, not necessarily the selling price. With your budget though, I wouldn't go over $34,000 for the boat. Though you may not think it will cost you "much more", I doubt anyone on here wouldn't tell you that it will.

As you said, the Discovery is more appealing to you, and that is a factor. As well as the fact you would have a considerably larger fund of money to prepare the boat.

In the end, the choice is yours, and should be one that leaves you feeling good about the purchase.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-07-2007
Telstar 28

Oh... one last point... Get a survey...and if it has an engine, get a separate survey of the engine...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-02-2007

captchetco is on a distinguished road
Excellent primer: Two of the better cruising boats are not on the list, though in general most of the ones on the list deserve it. For a smaller boat, the Ranger 33 (Mull design) is capable strong and fast.

Gulfstar sailboats 41-42-43-44&50(they also made motor sailers) if the blisters have been managed, make excellent cruisers. Their upwind performance is excelled only by Valiant in my experience. Sailed one from Mazatlan to Brookings Oregon in 16 days. Wind forward of the beam much of the way. Limited fuel capacity is offset by their sailing ability. Prices quite low, frequently a great bargain.

Last edited by captchetco; 03-02-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2007

captchetco is on a distinguished road
Hey come on guys! Why pick on the Oregon Coast? Actually, you are correct that it can be treacherous and ports are limited. I've sailed OR, WA, and NO Cal coasts quite a bit. Safest small boat ports in Oregon are Newport and Brookings. Coos Bay is close behind; Columbia depends on current and sea conditions, and can be a lake on the incoming tide and a torrent on the next ebb. Generally, in the summer when the Pacific high has set up, sailing the coast of Oregon is quite appropriate.
Old 03-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If I were you I would go for a newer boat, and try to avoid one that has a cored hull, and has already made several ocean voyages. The open seas put a lot of strain on a boat, and it is cumulative. When fibreglass bends, it weakens. Also, give some thought to resale. I have found that if you maintain a boat well, you can expect to get what you paid for it (selling price), but will not recoup the money you invested in maintenance (replacing and repairing). Most people who sell boats have a pretty good idea of what they are worth. If the boat is being sold by a broker, they have an extremely good idea of what the boat is worth. I think that when you are done, if you want a seaworthy 35 foot boat, you will end up spending about 50K between purchase and add-ons, regardless of which boat you buy. So the decision becomes whether you want to go with a lower purchase price and invest more money in repairs and upgrades, or if you want to buy something that you need to do less to, and spend more time on the water.