Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007

tonic is on a distinguished road
Great thread, leave money in an Escrow until you fire up that engine and work it hard. PEACE and happy sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormann-

The issues with a cored hull have little to do with their ability to take strain, as they're often stronger than equally heavy solid hulls. The real problem with cored hulls is their vulnerability to delamination, especially if the through-hulls were not installed properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
My Catalina...

Hey guys,

Well, I put the deposit on that 27' Catalina and already took it for a sea Trial. She sailed well - we had a nice 7 knot breeze that freshened up to a 10-11 knot breeze later on.

The main is actually from a J - 24! Which makes the boat interesting.

The boat will sail at hull speed with just the Genoa! I loved it.

Here's a question... with a sail from the J - 24, the main is almost like a reefed original catalina sail. Do you think that means I could leave the main up in stronger winds because of the reduced sail area? Or does it not matter.

On one hand the sail area is dramatically reduced and moved forward by the smaller sail.

On the other hand, that sail probably wasn't designed to be flying full in a stronger wind.

Give me your thoughts.

The boat survey is happening on Thursday, excited about that.

Here's the boat again in case you forgot what it looked like : (It's my first boat):
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1984&url=

PS.. Oh. Also, I found out that the bulk heads are in fact ORIGINAL, and so are the spreaders on the mast.

Some people messaged me to let me know to replace the original spreaders, and that catalina had a ready to mail kit.

Many report too that the bulk heads tend to rot due to leaky chainplate fittings... I guess I'll see at the survey, I wasn't able to see any noticable damage.

Last edited by Kacper; 03-03-2007 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congratulations. CD will be very happy to have another minion.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-03-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Sailindog - I agree with you 100% that if a cored hull has been maintained properly it is stronger and warmer and less noisy and in some cases lighter than a solid hull. The problem I have with them is that when they sold them initially, the dealers/manufacturers didn't spend a lot of time explaining to their customers that they needed to be extremely careful when adding through-hulls, rebedding toerails or rebedding keels. The boats that he is looking at are older, and not priced to suggest that they have had extensive repair or refit. Don't know what it's like in your region, but up here the way a lot of boats get treated is just criminal, and unless a surveyor is using some pretty sophisticated tools - he's not going to pick up the serious problems in their early stages. Hence my caveat...

Last edited by Sailormann; 03-03-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
heres an original bulkhead

there is a vinyl type of covering the wood.
yours does not have that. they used the type in the photo for many years. yours (and mine) included

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 03-03-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
Sailindog - I agree with you 100% that if a cored hull has been maintained properly it is stronger and warmer and less noisy and in some cases lighter than a solid hull. The problem I have with them is that when they sold them initially, the dealers/manufacturers didn't spend a lot of time explaining to their customers that they needed to be extremely careful when adding through-hulls, rebedding toerails or rebedding keels. The boats that he is looking at are older, and not priced to suggest that they have had extensive repair or refit. Don't know what it's like in your region, but up here the way a lot of boats get treated is just criminal, and unless a surveyor is using some pretty sophisticated tools - he's not going to pick up the serious problems in their early stages. Hence my caveat...
I agree that you have to be careful with cored hulls...but I was just disagreeing about them being weaker and inherently more subject to problems due being cored alone.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-04-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul

there is a vinyl type of covering the wood.
yours does not have that. they used the type in the photo for many years. yours (and mine) included
You're right, now that I take a closer look at the pics.

The owner said they were original bulk-heads. But he is not the first owner of the boat, he got it from another who replaced the original sail with the J 24 sail ... He may have done the bulkhead replacement. I'll find out for sure

sailingdog: What boat do you sail?

Kacper
Old 09-23-2008

PopeyeDoyle101 is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

Jeff,
I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Have you ever seen the big yellow books "For Dummies"? You should write one called "Sailing for Dummies, and a reference for the rest of us" I'm going to share your knowledge with my son. It's hard to teach your own kid and good reading goes a long way.

The links posted are all very good. Thanks to those who posted from a dummy like ole me.