Month 8 Expenses & Costs of Cruising - SailNet Community
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Don0190

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

Month 8 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

This past month we traveled from Emerald Bay Exuma Bahamas back to the USA to Vero Beach Florida. Hiding and running from the weather in the Bahamas finally just did us in, so we did a couple of hard rough sails and left!!!!!

We spent about 8 days in a marina at Emerald Bay during the month. We really only stopped there to get fuel and water, but the seas breaking at the entrance made it too dangerous to leave so we joined other sailboats trapped there. The dock was cheap at $0.50/ft with no power or water, but each night sucked with the wind on the beam and the surge on the bow/stern and in the end we left in conditions that were still bad because we just couldn’t take it anymore (wind/surge in the Bahamas even sucked while in a marina).

When we got back to the States we rented a car for a few days. We also went on “vacation” for a week and I slept on land for the first time in 8 months and sat around in air conditioning while binge watching Netflicks etc. The biggest cost of the vacation really was dining as we ate out each night for dinner. It was also our 35th wedding anniversary this month and that was a dining out at a higher level than normal.

The boat needed some stuff; new macerator pump (real shitty job), head pump, dinghy repairs, and a sail repair when I get to it. We got a couple of used sport chairs that we had wanted a long time and there were numerous little boat parts that add up. We also after 6 years figured out that the odor we get in our aft berth than we thought was the holding tank related was really from the vent outside that gets swirled into the cockpit and into a hatch, so I got a vent filter.

Entertainment expenses were for some Kindle books, movies, the vacation condo, and video rentals.

We did food restocking (you know there are stores here in the USA that have anything you would want and you don’t even have to plan around the delivery boat schedule).

The total was $ 3,423.24, which was more than the budget of $3,000, but almost all of it was our “vacation” (still was money spent). This breaks down as follows:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 930.92
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 616.95
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 121.91
Dining out - $ 918.44
Entertainment and vacation - $ 280.28
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 194.71
Bank Fees - $ 4.40
Marina - $ 192.70
Medical - $ 22.27
Transportation - $ 90.87
Grifts - $ 50

BTW - when I ask my wife how much she thinks we spend in each category she says a number a lot higher than what we really did. So I guess in her world we are WAAAAY below budget!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock
Re: Month 8 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I slept on land for the first time in 8 months and sat around in air conditioning while binge watching Netflicks etc. !

Ahhhhhh that's cruising life! 😊😀😁😂

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Taking a 'vacation' is smart when needed - don't just keep going and hit a mental/emotion wall.
Stay within the lines...
Thanks for posting.

post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

Neat! My wife never considered anything I ever did below budget, though - especially when it came to boats I've owned.

All the best,

Gary
post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

[QUOTE=Don0190;3926786]This past month we traveled from Emerald Bay Exuma Bahamas back to the USA to Vero Beach Florida. Hiding and running from the weather in the Bahamas finally just did us in, so we did a couple of hard rough sails and left!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. I just got back last week having spent eight days on a charter in the Exumas and had perfect weather and winds for sailing. Though I did have a co-worker who spent years dreaming of a winter in the Bahamas. Finally got there last winter and hated the windy wet weather and went back to Florida. IMO May is one of the best times for the Exumas so we charter there then. Though many boats that wintered over have already started heading back up north which is a shame. I think they miss some of the best part of the year there.

Mike
Currently: Fixing things and waiting for Spring

post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Cruising at a snail pace

We heard the same story in march about how much better April would be. April was worst so we weren't sticking around anymore with the hope of it getting better.

Everyone should do the Bahamas, I've now done it and can more onto other places.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

[quote=mbianka;3927338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
This past month we traveled from Emerald Bay Exuma Bahamas back to the USA to Vero Beach Florida. Hiding and running from the weather in the Bahamas finally just did us in, so we did a couple of hard rough sails and left!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. I just got back last week having spent eight days on a charter in the Exumas and had perfect weather and winds for sailing. Though I did have a co-worker who spent years dreaming of a winter in the Bahamas. Finally got there last winter and hated the windy wet weather and went back to Florida. IMO May is one of the best times for the Exumas so we charter there then. Though many boats that wintered over have already started heading back up north which is a shame. I think they miss some of the best part of the year there.

We have friends in the Bahamas all winter and they all say it has been the worst winter in memory - hard winds, winds from the wrong direction, cold -- it was just one of those years

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
In the Black Sea

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.