Process of a mooring in Boston Harbor? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JSJB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Cool Process of a mooring in Boston Harbor?

Hi all!
I'm a new sailor in the Boston/Dorchester area looking to get into the lifestyle but there's a few obstacles I have to get through to actually get on the water. I have a 25' sailboat that I am looking to moor maybe in Dorchester/Quincy Bay and I was wondering about the process of getting a mooring/ the chances of actually getting one. I shot an email to the Harbour master with no response.
Although I have looked at the Yacht Club options, I just want to enjoy the water without needing to spend money on a membership I would not really use. So I guess my main question is, is it realistic to go through the process of applying for a mooring and actually getting one for this year's boat season?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Process of a mooring in Boston Harbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphiesailer View Post
Hi all!
I'm a new sailor in the Boston/Dorchester area looking to get into the lifestyle but there's a few obstacles I have to get through to actually get on the water. I have a 25' sailboat that I am looking to moor maybe in Dorchester/Quincy Bay and I was wondering about the process of getting a mooring/ the chances of actually getting one. I shot an email to the Harbour master with no response.
Although I have looked at the Yacht Club options, I just want to enjoy the water without needing to spend money on a membership I would not really use. So I guess my main question is, is it realistic to go through the process of applying for a mooring and actually getting one for this year's boat season?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING
Mooring asignments go yhru the local harbormaster and most harbors have long waiting lists. When you get a mooring spot, you usually join a club to get launch service to your mooring. Otherwise you need dock space for a dingy tie-up, good luck with that.

Wollaston YC is usually open to same season new members. You might be able to find a used mooring to buy.

A place like Sunset Marina in Hull might have a rental with launch service.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 1 Week Ago at 08:20 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Or try the Savin Hill Yacht Club. They have a great Firebird fleet too if you want to give racing a shot.

post #4 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Or try the Savin Hill Yacht Club. They have a great Firebird fleet too if you want to give racing a shot.
He can try but Savin Hill probably has a waiting list, runs 2-5 years.

Certified...in several regards...
post #5 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

If you are interested in paying for a slip, you can try Boston Harbor Shipyard and Marina in East Boston. It's walkable from Maverick Station on the Blue Line.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
post #6 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
He can try but Savin Hill probably has a waiting list, runs 2-5 years.
Not quite that long. If you get an application in soon the waitlist for the club is until February, and according to a long time member you can usually find a spot for a mooring or buy one from a leaving member. But that doesn't help the OP who was looking for something this year.
post #7 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago

You could try Salem Water Taxi / Hawthorne Cove Marina in Salem, MA.

A bit farther for you but I was able to get a mooring from them very quickly when I bought my boat in 2015; they have several hundred of them.
Salem Water Taxi only provides the mooring and the launch service and is run by Hawthorne Cove Marina (which provides additional marina services and amenities).
Slayer likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Days Ago

Ask your local harbor master. Not sure what options you have for Dinghy tie-ups in that area. Before you relocate to Salem though, check out Winthrop. Not ideal from Dorchester, but CPYC is accepting membership applications: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CottageParkYachtClub/
post #9 of 9 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by llunved View Post
Ask your local harbor master. Not sure what options you have for Dinghy tie-ups in that area. Before you relocate to Salem though, check out Winthrop. Not ideal from Dorchester, but CPYC is accepting membership applications: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CottageParkYachtClub/

And they have a bowling alley👍

Tags
boston , mooring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.