SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Process of a mooring in Boston Harbor?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Slayer 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I'm a new sailor in the Boston/Dorchester area looking to get into the lifestyle but there's a few obstacles I have to get through to actually get on the water. I have a 25' sailboat that I am looking to moor maybe in Dorchester/Quincy Bay and I was wondering about the process of getting a mooring/ the chances of actually getting one. I shot an email to the Harbour master with no response.
Although I have looked at the Yacht Club options, I just want to enjoy the water without needing to spend money on a membership I would not really use. So I guess my main question is, is it realistic to go through the process of applying for a mooring and actually getting one for this year's boat season?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING

#2 · (Edited)
Hi all!
I'm a new sailor in the Boston/Dorchester area looking to get into the lifestyle but there's a few obstacles I have to get through to actually get on the water. I have a 25' sailboat that I am looking to moor maybe in Dorchester/Quincy Bay and I was wondering about the process of getting a mooring/ the chances of actually getting one. I shot an email to the Harbour master with no response.
Although I have looked at the Yacht Club options, I just want to enjoy the water without needing to spend money on a membership I would not really use. So I guess my main question is, is it realistic to go through the process of applying for a mooring and actually getting one for this year's boat season?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING
Mooring asignments go yhru the local harbormaster and most harbors have long waiting lists. When you get a mooring spot, you usually join a club to get launch service to your mooring. Otherwise you need dock space for a dingy tie-up, good luck with that.

Wollaston YC is usually open to same season new members. You might be able to find a used mooring to buy.

A place like Sunset Marina in Hull might have a rental with launch service.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
You could try Salem Water Taxi / Hawthorne Cove Marina in Salem, MA.

A bit farther for you but I was able to get a mooring from them very quickly when I bought my boat in 2015; they have several hundred of them.
Salem Water Taxi only provides the mooring and the launch service and is run by Hawthorne Cove Marina (which provides additional marina services and amenities).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.