Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
After the boat show closes on Sunday, the Bears in the Superbowl might be a good thing to watch - but for the fact that the Colts will probably show up ..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Any top picks, worst picks, or surprises from the show???
Old 02-04-2007
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
If this show is anything like the Strictly Sail Philadelphia show---do not go!

It will be a waiste of time and money. The Strictly Sail Philadelphia show was the worst show I have seen in the Northeast/Mid-atlantic region. I will not be going again. In the future I will stick to going only to the Annapolis Sail Boat Show in October.
Old 02-04-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Actually I think this was a fair show. Lots of vendors, many of them helpful. I don't think I need to go every year, but every other year works. My wife gets her shopping fix and I get to look at boats and STUFF!

Someone asked if there was anything new. I really can't think of anything that was earth shattering new. I am not looking for a new boat, so interest was not as high.

I think that the seminars are still good, but the best ones are done by the pros and are the same every year. How many times can you listen to the same presentation? Some were done by very knowledgeable people who want to sell books. However, in many of those cases they are more knowledgeable and better sailors than they are speakers.

The Alerion Express 38 was definetly as they claimed, "The Prettiest Girl at the Dance". The new species of day sailors from the high end guys are beautiful. The set up on this boat made handling this 38 a walk in the park.

So, I will probably skip a year a go back again. Colder than those brass monkeys balls in Chicago and the entire midwest this weekend. Better go and push some snow off the boat cover tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I agree the Alerion 38 was stunning. (So long as I'm not the one writting the check.) I really liked the Sabre 386 as well. I thought the Tartan 3700 was well built, well designed, and beautifully executed. However, I thought the Tartan 3400 was a big disapointment. They tried to cram the layout from the 3700 into the smaller interior and it just doesn't work. (And I really wanted to like it!)

I looked at a couple of the Catalinas, but soon realized I just didn't belong. I was the only one onboard with all my teeth!!!! It looked like an Arkansas wedding.
Old 02-04-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
Any top picks, worst picks, or surprises from the show???
Not really, no Surprises.

Our favorite's; the Saber and Tartan's.

We were drawn to the Catalina 470. Lots of room, lots of storage and a vey nice layout.

I am sorry to say though, especially as the owner of one, I am not impressed with the newest versions of the Benie's. They seem to have gone back to the influnce of European styling with a curve in the coach roof and saloon ports.

Like has been said around these threads the last couple of weeks, the build quality of the production boats has been on the decline lately. Sorry to say.
Old 02-04-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I agree the Alerion 38 was stunning. (So long as I'm not the one writting the check.) I really liked the Sabre 386 as well. I thought the Tartan 3700 was well built, well designed, and beautifully executed. However, I thought the Tartan 3400 was a big disapointment. They tried to cram the layout from the 3700 into the smaller interior and it just doesn't work. (And I really wanted to like it!)

I looked at a couple of the Catalinas, but soon realized I just didn't belong. I was the only one onboard with all my teeth!!!! It looked like an Arkansas wedding.
I still have all my teeth.?
Old 02-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

We must have been on different boats. The one good thing I would say is that the Catalina was unmatched for interior space. Unfortunatly you'd grow old looking for a handhold down below. Not sure if they intend for you to leave the dock???
Old 02-05-2007

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My wife and I sat in a Catalina 34 at the Toronto boat show. Once we got out of earshot of the salespeople, we looked at each other and she said "doesn't it remind you of a Doublewide?"
Old 02-05-2007

bmunse is on a distinguished road
I thought the show was good. John Kretschmer and Bob Bitchin were entertaining. I thought the re-e-power, www.re-e-power.com , booth was really good. The owner/ founder has quit his job and thrown everything into this venture. I was impressed that Compac Yachts thought it was good enough to put this propulsion on their boat. Does anyone have any thought or knowledge about this?