Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007

mvjensen is on a distinguished road
Considering purchase of 1980 Gulfstar CC

I'm on the west coast and considering buying a Gulfstar 44...the previous owner has spent a ridiculous amount of money in refitting her....New engine,transmission, rigging, mast, boom, cabin, hull LP paint, all new wiring, boom-vang, canvas enclosure, new bottom....on and on....my question is how is the structure integrity of the hull...I know they were and still are used alot in the carribean and east coast, but someone tell me their overall thoughts on Gulfstar in general...I was told that either Alden or Ted Hood designed them, depending on the year.......Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I am not a boat expert like Jeff H but have always held the Gulfstar line in a favorable view. They are very popular in the Swest and are comfortable liveaboards. You wont be the first one to round the mark, but everyone will want coctails on your boat when you finally arrive.

Just my thoughts. Go for it.

- CD
Old 01-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Is this the boat?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=24190&url=

If so, that is a lot of money for an '80 Gulfstar. You working with a broker? She is BEAUTIFUL though. Without a doubt (from picrtures) the finest example of a GS I have seen... especially of that era.
Old 01-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Wow...that is one boat that has been well loved....but CD is right...they are decent boats but not gold platers and no amount of refit changes the real value THAT much. I would expect her to sell for maybe $135-140. Read this for owners perspectives on the boat design:
http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...tml#Gulfstar44
Old 01-29-2007

sailingwife is on a distinguished road
We bought our 1981 44 Gulfstar this part summer and have been nothing but impressed....for a 1981 boat that is. I know there has been talk of inconsistent build quality and workmanship but we've seen nothing that is scary or bad. My husband works for a boat builder so he knows about fiberglass hulls and build quality. Pretty impressed with how it points, our rigging inspector had nothing but good things about how stout everything was. It gets a big WAF (wife appreciate factor) and I second it. The separate shower, nice salon and ample galley really make it comfortable. We had 11 on board for a New Years Eve party and had plenty of room. That said, it isn't really a party until someone falls overboard, and well let's just say it was a party!
Old 01-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

SW,

Nice to have a woman's perspective here. My wife liked them too. Of course, I am always more interested where the kids are going to sit and where Dad and Mom can escape when the Lego's start flying (er, hm, not that it happens on my boat), but I have always liked them for what they are and would consdier them. Tom & Mel Neal raised their two girls on a GS 50 as I recall.

Again, you are not going to win any races... but you sure will be comfortable at the New Years Eve party(s)!!

- CD

PS That does not mean the boat YOU are looking at is a good deal. That is a lot of $$ for a GS.
Old 01-30-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The only knock I have heard about GStars is inconsistancies in build quality (blisters, tabbing, etc.). They are middle-middle in terms of sailing qualities, but that is a very handsome boat nonetheless. The engine room is particularly nice.

You should knock the price down a bit, however
Old 01-30-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
That's a great looking boat (if that's the one). Buy it! We had a Gulfstar 1980 Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster and loved it. Ours did have blister problems, so have a good survey.
Old 02-05-2007

mvjensen is on a distinguished road
Thanks all!

That is the boat and yes, they think it's gold-plated...however, I would not pay anywhere near that price....put a gold engine in a VW Bug it's still a VW bug.....thanks again for your time and thoughts
Old 02-05-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Still a nice boat though. It will sell higher than its brother and sisters... espcially the red-headed versions. Also add up what you would have to do to another boat to make it adequate for your cruising and compare that cost to a boat that already has it. That is the only way to compare apples to oranges.