SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Considering purchase of 1980 Gulfstar CC

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Valiente 
#1 ·
I'm on the west coast and considering buying a Gulfstar 44...the previous owner has spent a ridiculous amount of money in refitting her....New engine,transmission, rigging, mast, boom, cabin, hull LP paint, all new wiring, boom-vang, canvas enclosure, new bottom....on and on....my question is how is the structure integrity of the hull...I know they were and still are used alot in the carribean and east coast, but someone tell me their overall thoughts on Gulfstar in general...I was told that either Alden or Ted Hood designed them, depending on the year.......Thanks!!

#2 ·
I am not a boat expert like Jeff H but have always held the Gulfstar line in a favorable view. They are very popular in the Swest and are comfortable liveaboards. You wont be the first one to round the mark, but everyone will want coctails on your boat when you finally arrive.

Just my thoughts. Go for it.

- CD

#5 ·
We bought our 1981 44 Gulfstar this part summer and have been nothing but impressed....for a 1981 boat that is. I know there has been talk of inconsistent build quality and workmanship but we've seen nothing that is scary or bad. My husband works for a boat builder so he knows about fiberglass hulls and build quality. Pretty impressed with how it points, our rigging inspector had nothing but good things about how stout everything was. It gets a big WAF (wife appreciate factor) and I second it. The separate shower, nice salon and ample galley really make it comfortable. We had 11 on board for a New Years Eve party and had plenty of room. That said, it isn't really a party until someone falls overboard, and well let's just say it was a party!

#6 ·
SW,

Nice to have a woman's perspective here. My wife liked them too. Of course, I am always more interested where the kids are going to sit and where Dad and Mom can escape when the Lego's start flying (er, hm, not that it happens on my boat), but I have always liked them for what they are and would consdier them. Tom & Mel Neal raised their two girls on a GS 50 as I recall.

Again, you are not going to win any races... but you sure will be comfortable at the New Years Eve party(s)!!

- CD

PS That does not mean the boat YOU are looking at is a good deal. That is a lot of $$ for a GS.

#10 ·
Still a nice boat though. It will sell higher than its brother and sisters... espcially the red-headed versions. Also add up what you would have to do to another boat to make it adequate for your cruising and compare that cost to a boat that already has it. That is the only way to compare apples to oranges.

#12 ·
Light said:
We bought a CAL 2-46 and love her.
I saw my first CAL 2-46 last summer and got the tour from the long-term cruising couple (summers on Lake Ontario, winters down south). Seemed a very nice and strong boat, with a ridiculous amount of stowage space, tankage, access. Very old school, but some of us are fine with that. Looked like it would shake off a lot of weather and keep plugging away...which was good as this couple are now in their 70s.

#13 ·
Light said:
Anyway... I would suggest anyone thinking about a boat to live aboard and for extended sailing, or crusing, check out a CAL 46. There are a couple for sale on the West Coast... one of them is AWESOME... but needs electronics... she has been redone to near perfection... she's in the San Fran area..
Given most new old boat owners spend a year or three "renovating", the absence of electronics is actually a good thing. We bought an '88 boat with functional antique electronics (except for a Raymarine 420 chartplotter from '99 or so...adequate for now) and the LAST thing we will buy before we go cruising in '09 are things like radar, autopilot, solar panels, SSB, new chartplotter and depthfinder. All that stuff changes rapidly, as does the ease with which it integrates with laptops and networks aboard. And the prices tend downward. I noticed this with the ICOM M802 in a couple of recent eBay auctions: I could buy new locally within $50 of used on eBay. Stupid, but it shows that the patient can save.

Stuff that changes less frequently (pumps, inverter chargers, alternators, switches, antenna tuners, metering) can be purchased "opportunistically". I just ordered a feathering prop due to a fat discount offered at a boat show...but I won't actually install it until next fall.

Hell, the LED nav lights I pooh-poohed last year have dropped 30% and might yet drop to the point where it's worth going up the mast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.