Need maritime legal advice... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 Old 02-05-2007 Thread Starter
Send a message via Yahoo to oscarzulu
Thanks for the replies, I've thought about all these responses... unfortunately the loss of the boat would be the end of my lien as I understand. Plus there's that whole karma thing too.
I have been in contact with the secretary who had said that she and the owner want to settle this up, but that was about a month ago.
I believe my biggest ally here would be his daughter who seems quite genuine.

I've been hesitant to escalate the calls as I need him to sign my sea service form so that I can get my captain's license. After 4 years of skippering his boat not getting his signature would mean my needing to 90 more days out on the water... Which would probably mean an additional 3-4 months before I could get licensed. (See Need maritime legal advice pt. II)

I'm just hoping the guy is dragging his feet and thinking of the interest he's incurring on the money he owes me, I know that that has been his business tactic throughout his life.
Again thanks for the responses, I'd appreciate help on the next topic as that'll dictate my actions concerning this post.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 12 Old 02-05-2007
Reward for lost Kraken!
"as I need him to sign my sea service form" Well, that sure complicates things. I mistook your post for a simple contractor's complaint, i.e. mechanics lien. Confess now, did you eat all the strawberries & ice cream?

Which "we" is where? I'm not suggesting the US system can be fixed in ten minutes on the back of an envelope, but even the judicial associations agree that it is so ripe with abuse that something long needs to be done. On the small scale, even the NYTimes recently had an article about NYS trying to change the basic levels, because so many local judges are simply local clowns who literally ignore the law. Among other problems. But then again, the NYTimes *and* the entire NYC/NYS judicial system also long ignored the point that judgeships could (and doubtlessly still can) be bought, even in NYC, by party members with the price of a new car.
Great way to run the courts. (Not.)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.