Lightweight inflatable raft for inland lake recreation use??? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Lightweight inflatable raft for inland lake recreation use???

I'm looking for a lightweight inflatable and hopefully tow-able raft for recreation use on an inland lake. Forgot to mention... It needs to be a row-able.

Here are my use requirements:

I have a 23.5 ft. Beneteau First 235 that is currently kept on a mooring (hopefully a slip in the future) on an inland lake in Minnesota. I have an aluminum row boat that I use to access the mooring. I'm looking for a light weight inflatable to be used when sailing with my family. We have two daughters (currently 3 and 5) and I'd like to be able to anchor the sailboat and use the raft to access beaches. Ideally I'm looking for something that would be packed away most of the time (I race the boat regularly) but could be easily inflated for recreational daysailing use. Maybe this is asking too much... but I also think my daughters would absolutely love riding in the raft while being towed behind the sailboat. Is the Bestway HydroForce Marine Pro durable enough for this in an inland lake? If so, I like that it is only around 30lbs and only around $120. The Intex Mariner 3 is another option but weighs over twice as much, costs more, and doesn't appear (based on photos) to have a setup for towing that would be any better than the Bestway.....

Does anyone have experience with these models or recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by prskier17; 6 Days Ago at 02:49 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago

Re: Lightweight inflatable raft for inland lake recreation use???

there a thousands of types available Google ski boat rafts

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
there a thousands of types available Google ski boat rafts
Ooops... I need to clarify that I'm looking for a row-able boat.... basically a lightweight inflatable dinghy/tender. But I will look into the towable water sports type of items as well... just don't know if they would be useful to transport the family to a beach with picnic basket, etc....

post #4 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago

Academy Sports and then Gander Mtn....then Bass Pro.
That will cover the bottom end. After that, it's 'marine$' stores.
post #5 of 8 Old 4 Days Ago

Bestway makes inflatables from near-disposable toy quality, to semi-wannabe almost-real marine grade. The one you're looking at leans more toward the former. We purchased the latter, a 7.5 foot Caspian from Amazon, also available in 9'3" and 10'10" versions. They all come with oars.

Dinghies are one of those things where you get what you pay for and these in no way approach the quality of Zodiac, Achilles, etc., but for occasional use for the budget conscious I find it suffices nicely.

Edit: The 7.5 foot is a little cozy. I recommend at least the 9 footer for two adults and two kids. It also gives you a v-hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twoshoes; 4 Days Ago at 09:13 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 4 Days Ago

The thing to look at is the fabric. The cheap ones are just PVC and never get firm as you pump them up. The PVC stretches. Fabric that is a laminate of cloth and PVC makes a big difference as the boat gets firm as you pump it up. Anything in the $100 to $200 range is going to all PVC and basically just a higher quality beach toy. Expect to pay at least $400 to $500 for one with the laminate cloth. Another feature in the better quality boats is the floor is either slats or plywood panels. Makes a big difference is stiffening the boat and make it easier to tow and more secure when you step into it. The "beach toy" floors are just inflated PVC tubes and have little stiffness.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #7 of 8 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

I agree with the cost/quality assessment responses from everyone. For my specific use I am going to keep searching. I'd like to find something in the 30-50 lb range that stows very compactly and will last a few years with a dozen short trips between the sailboat and the beach per season. If I find something that can also be pulled behind the sailboat with the kids riding along it would be sweet, but that would definitely add a lot of stress to the inflatable.

Does anyone use a typical watersports/inflatable towable for their kids to ride in behind a sailboat? Maybe I can find a beach location that is deep enough to get close where the raft/dinghy isn't necessary (assuming we'll be swimming anyway).
post #8 of 8 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
The thing to look at is the fabric. The cheap ones are just PVC and never get firm as you pump them up. The PVC stretches. Fabric that is a laminate of cloth and PVC makes a big difference as the boat gets firm as you pump it up. Anything in the $100 to $200 range is going to all PVC and basically just a higher quality beach toy. Expect to pay at least $400 to $500 for one with the laminate cloth. Another feature in the better quality boats is the floor is either slats or plywood panels. Makes a big difference is stiffening the boat and make it easier to tow and more secure when you step into it. The "beach toy" floors are just inflated PVC tubes and have little stiffness.
Thanks for the response. A "higher quality beach toy" might actually be proper for this application, minus the ability to tow behind the sailboat with the kids riding along....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.