SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mixed customer service from Overton's

833 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Minnesail 
#1 ·
I ordered a stainless bimini frame with Sunbrella "Jockey Red" canvas from Overton's. The canvas is custom, so at the time they said it would ship in 15-20 business days.

The morning of day 22 I still hadn't heard anything so I sent an email to customer support. By the afternoon they hadn't replied to the email, so I called customer support. They said they'd open a trouble ticket into why there was a holdup and get back to me.

The next week I still hadn't heard anything from them, so I called again and after a long while on hold I was told again that they'd open a trouble ticket.

Later that afternoon I got an email saying that it would ship on July 3rd, a full 35 business days after I placed the order!

I replied with an email saying how disappointed I was in their customer service, which is normally top notch. I said that I wanted the bimini for the 4th of July holiday week and had I known it was backordered I might have gone with a different supplier. I thanked them for their time.

That was Tuesday afternoon. It shipped out Thursday afternoon.

So I'm disappointed in them that they never informed me that it was backordered and that they apparently never reply to emails or send follow-up communication.

But I am pleased that they did eventually expedite things and that I will get it in time for my holiday week (although I'm going to have to scramble to install it).

I learned while looking into this that Overton's is owned by Gander Mountain, which recently filed for bankruptcy. I wonder if that is affecting customer service.

See less See more
#2 ·
I ordered custom vinyl letters from Overton's in the spring and had a similar experience. The order said 3-5 business days for shipping, and after a week I contacted to check status. They said give it 7-10 days. I called a few more times without much help, the lettering finally did arrive about 2 weeks later, and they misspelled the name! I went back to my original order to make sure that I had input the spelling correctly, and yup, I did. They reversed 2 of the letters. It was only about $30 so I'm not going to hassle with a return; I can just cut out the letters and reverse them when I finally get around to applying them.

But yea, for me, that was the first and last order from Overton's.

#3 ·
Interesting Minne.

I just ordered ladder standoffs from Overton. They processed the order the next day, shipped it the day after that, and I had the item in my hands two days later. Buying a stock item is obviously a completely different animal than a custom job like yours, but that was my first experience with Overton, and it was a success. Now that I know their parent is in financial difficulty, I will take extra care before ordering again from them. Thanks for the info.

btw, the only reason I went to Overton's in the first place was because Defender wouldn't take the order! They now have a $15 minimum for internet orders. My go-to supplier is now not available for quick, inexpensive parts. What a disappointment.

#4 ·
Well, the bimini arrived today. The frame looks really solid and the sewing on the canvas seems top notch (it's also branded Taylor Made, so I guess they outsource that part). And I did get it in time for the Independence Day week.

I'm just a little baffled at their lack of communication. They don't seem to answer emails or really respond at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.