SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seriously, are there any sailboats out there.....

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Barquito 
#1 ·
that don't have issues with chain plate bulkhead rot or deck mast compression? I am talking in the 1970-1980 range of boats. I am ready to buy a 32 footer and it seems like every single brand I research and read forums about have these same 2 issues over and over again. That means even if you buy one that doesn't have these issues, sooner or later it will. I totally understand chain plate rot for one should do regular maintenance and re-bed their deck hardware however, one can't really change the engineering of a deck stepped mast. Are keel stepped mast always better?

I have looked at the Catalina, Bristol, Ericson and a few others. I am very picky when it comes to the cabin layout and must have a side dinette so I am a tad limited to make & model. I also must have an inboard with wheel and a fully enclosed head. A side U shaped galley would be nice but can deal with the galley on the starboard side if lengthy.

The other issue is, one must buy a boat close to home unless of course they are retired and can take 2-3 months off to fly and sail their boat home. I own a 36' slip on Lake Huron so I am sort of limited for a purchase on the Great Lakes unless of course I want to pay $1500.00 or more to have it shipped to me.

Show me a boat I can buy under $15,000 that I can drop in and sail with small upkeep but no major issues. I can fix anything and love putzing on boats however, to fix a major mast compression is a PITA and possibly expensive. And yes, I will always pay for a surveyor. I know, I know, if I spend $50,000 I could get a nice boat but then I would have to tell my 3 daughters that they can't finish their college degrees. :(

One I am looking at:
https://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/6180859069.html

A Catalina I like:
1979 Catalina 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A Bristol I like in the UP:
https://up.craigslist.org/boa/6137977717.html

See less See more
#2 ·
that don't have issues with chain plate bulkhead rot or deck mast compression? I am talking in the 1970-1980 range of boats. I am ready to buy a 32 footer and it seems like every single brand I research and read forums about have these same 2 issues over and over again. That means even if you buy one that doesn't have these issues, sooner or later it will.
That's just crazy thinking!!! If you are looking a 70-80s boat and it doesn't have rot, it doesn't have rot!!!

On the other hand if you look at ANY boat and don't understand that sometime in its' future if it lives long enough it will have some rot, there you are crazy!

When shopping a 70-80s boat all that matter is the condition it is in NOW!!!

Reactions: seabeau
#3 · (Edited)
that don't have issues with chain plate bulkhead rot or deck mast compression? I am talking in the 1970-1980 range of boats. I am ready to buy a 32 footer and it seems like every single brand I research and read forums about have these same 2 issues over and over again. That means even if you buy one that doesn't have these issues, sooner or later it will. I totally understand chain plate rot for one should do regular maintenance and re-bed their deck hardware however, one can't really change the engineering of a deck stepped mast. Are keel stepped mast always better?

I have looked at the Catalina, Bristol, Ericson and a few others. I also must have an inboard with wheel and a fully enclosed head. A side U shaped galley would be nice but can deal with the galley on the starboard side if lengthy.
There is no good answer when it comes to damage due to water infiltration, especially when you are trying to buy a 30-40 year old, 32 footer for $15,000. Boats with both keel stepped and deck stepped mast can equally rot out their chainplate attachment points, and probably have shot chainplates by now (if they haven't been replaced), especially on freshwater where you don't have salt to pickle the wood and reduce the chance of rot.

While deck stepped masts tend to damage the decking and the kind posts below the mast, keel stepped masts tend to run water across the deck and into the bilge. Unless robustly constructed, on really older boats, they also tend to have transverse frame issues at the mast step.

The other thing is that most 1970's and early 1980's 32 footers where designed for a tiller and are really screwed up by adding a wheel. In some ways this should work in your favor since most experienced sailor who care about how their boat sails would not buy one of these boats with a wheel. So that should push the price down some, but because wheels are expensive to install, and the guys who put them in think there is some reason to have one, they seem to hold out for higher prices, and so their boats languish on the market until someone comes along willing to pay the fare.

This is not a Bristol; its a Newport. Bristol built a number of really nice boats in terms of sailing ability and build quality. Newport is very different story altogether.

Jeff

#4 ·
I guess maybe I should have worded my question differently. I am just wondering if there are boats I should stay away from due to having way more issues than other boats. Being new to sailing I am unfamiliar with all the different boats so I thought I would ask as I start looking for a new boat in the 30'-32' range.

#5 ·
Like Don said, it matters more what condition the boat is in now, rather that what areas MAY be a problem. I think you realize from your initial post that if the boat has been kept well, there will be minimal water intrusion to ruin the chainplates. If the beam for the deck stepped mast is in good shape now, and has been for 30 years, don't expect it to go bad in the next few years.

Regarding the dinette layout; I like that arrangement. Had it in my Catalina 22. However, while underway heeled to that side, there won't me as much comfortable seating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.