Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Urgent: Questions about selling process

Hi All -

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm selling my boat. The buyer found me over the Internet, came to my house, inspected the boat and then arranged for financing. I don't know him and I have no references. I have no reason to suspect anything but honesty, but in today's day and age - you never know.

The buyer arranged for credit through Essex Credit who is using "Titling Services of Florida" to handle the closing. Titling Services of Florida wants me to send down the original titles for boat and trailer, signed, plus a limited power of attorney. They state they will release these documents to Essex Credit upon my receipt of the funding (i.e. act as an escrow agent). I don't know these guys at all and am somewhat uncomfortable sending them all this information.

Has anyone here used this organization? Do you know who they are? Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can proceed while making sure no fraud is involved? They would like to close this week, and I'd love to get my money this week!

Thanks!

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
http://www.americanvessel.com/
Did you check out this site?
Old 02-07-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
If they are crooks, they at least have a website: http://www.titlingservicesofflorida.com/index.htm

I have no experience with them, but I did finance my first boat through Essex Credit. Had no complaints with them. I don't think Essex would deal with a bad outfit.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 02-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...what do they need your limited power of attorney for? I would call Essex Credit and have them give you a reference for the titling service just to be sure it is not a scam.
Old 02-08-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
The site that I posted is for self regulatory agency for the Titleing industry. They are listed as members of the agency. A quick call in the morning to the AVDA should answer any questions and allay or confirm any suspicions you may have.
Old 02-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It wouldn't hurt to call the Florida State Attorney General's office of Consumer Affairs and see if they have any complaints or actions against the titling service company. If not, then it's probably all good...if so...then proceed with caution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-08-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Why don't you locate your own title service and request that it be used instead. Even if you have to pay their fee, you could be comfortable with the transaction then.
Old 02-08-2007
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
Notice Titling Services of Florida listed here:
http://www.americanvessel.com/active...st.htm#Florida

I would call American Vessel Documentation Association, Inc. at 888-832-AVDA (bottom of their website) and ask them if it's normal for companies to ask for information like origional docs and power of attorny.

I have a good feeling you'll sell the boat through them just fine. Just take your time confirming references and don't be rushed. Worst case is this buyer goes away and you wait for the next. How bad can that be?

If you rush and have some bad luck then the worst case is much different. Take your time and relax.

Last edited by RayMetz100; 02-08-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Not sure about all of this. Essex is a boat credit company, and I would think that it should be quite easy to contact them and check out their contractor. They usually want to have the boat documented and the buyer pays a large fee to document the boat and the fee is shared. That is the buyers issue, not yours.

Why would you want to find your own agent and pay a fee that the buyer is willing to pay through Essex. Also, in todays market, buyers of boats are not tripping over each other to buy. It is a buyers market. You have a buyer who has agreed to pay you a price that you must be happy with as you have agreed to sell to him. Make a couple of phone calls and keep the buyer and his money.
Old 02-08-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Chris, make haste slowly. Make those phones calls. I haven't sold a boat but I can't see why I should release the original title and a POA to *anyone* until I'm sitting at a closing and someone has put a confirmed payment in my hands, i.e. a bank check that I can call the bank up to verify. (Heck, which one of us would recognize a counterfeit bank check or certified check anyway?)

I think I'd ask my own bank or attorney to act as the escrow agent and do all the holding and receiving. Essex Credit have been around for a long time but so far...you have only the buyer's word that he's using them, right?

Strange world out there. Can't figure out why keelhauling and rail riding aren't allowed any more, the world needs more of them both.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.