Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't expect immediate damage, unless ice plugs the cockpit drains, etc. and then meltwater backs up into the boat. Boats get wet...then you go dry them out, right?

But when ice forms and expands in places like rigging swages, it can loosen then or split them, eventually. That's one reason the 20-year-old rigging, even in the northeast and even in fresh water, needs to be checked up close and personal. Including dye checks, etc. for cracks in fittings aloft.

Using lanocote (water-based lanolin grease) or other grease to saturate the fittings and help keep water out of them is the only routine maintenance you can do to delay this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog goes by "chickenlittle" at all the other sailing forums.
pigslo
Old 02-14-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
My boat is down there too - I do have my sails stored down below and a tarp over the boom, but that ain't much. So yes - I am somewhat worried. I might come out there on the weekend to check it out.

That said, two things to consider:
1) My boat sat for years in various yards in this same area, through a number of snow and ice storms very much like this one. They do not help, for sure, but they didn't break the thing either. Same likely applies to yours.

2) There isn't much you can do anyway. Breaking a sheet of solid ice on the deck is anything but impossible. The most you can achieve by doing so is damaging the deck. It may be worth inspecting the thing and, perhaps, unplugging the drainholes or some such - but really this is just a "peace of mind inspection".
Old 02-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
A little late to worry right now, but leaving a boat uncovered in areas where it is subjected to freeze / thaw cycles is about the worst thing you can do for your deck. Water will work its way in through crevices you don't even know exist. It will freeze, and it will damage the core and the glass fibres. Not may, not might, it will. You have a significant amount of money invested in your boat. When the spring comes either make a frame for your boat, or have one made, and then get a cover from somewhere. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it is the single most important thing you can do to promote the longevity of your boat. If you rely on shrink-wrapping - sooner or later there is going to come a year when you decide for one reason or another not to make the investment. and the older your boat gets, the more care it needs.
Old 02-15-2007

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
Michigan boats get covered with snow and ice every year.

I'm sure that damage could occur but I wouldn't worry too much. As long as the ice has room to expand, it will. That's why my plastic ice cube trays don't crack everytime I use them.
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Old 02-15-2007

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road
hi I am in annapolis.. if you want i can run by the boat and do a walk around if you like..
my home email is kosmikbubbles@gmail.com
'bella
sv Maja
annapolis/key west
Old 02-16-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
The ice is going to expand regardless of whether you have left some room for it or not. Your plastic ice cube trays don't crack a) because they are made out of flexible plastic, and b) because the ice has room to expand upwards.
Old 02-16-2007

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
Sorry Sailorman, if it looked like I was trying to disagree with your assessment. Actually, I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

Ice forming in the core does sound bad. My only point is that a lot of boats never get covered, even in the northern climates.
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Old 02-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I plan on running down to Annapolis this weekend to check on my new boat, maybe clear out the cockpit. I can let you know how it is down there.
Old 02-16-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Un-buffed Wax

I'm a believer in full coverage myself for the average of at least 50 freezes, thaws, and re-freezes in RI (my wild guess). I actually think there is less danger in the far north where it doesn't thaw so often. Any way here is an alternative that has worked well for a friend of mine for many years in Westerly RI. Every fall since his '87 or '88 IP31 was new he puts on a heavy coat of wax and doesn't buff it till the spring. The fiberglass has always looked good as new and he traded it in last year to move to the Dark Side and got the 70k or so he paid for it way back when.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.