Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Boat stored in freezing rain

Should I worry (not that there's anything I can do about it)? My boat is on the hard in Annapolis, winterized, but there's supposed to be a 1/2" to 3/4" of ice accumulation due to freezing rain. The boat is not covered, the sails are on (cover on mainsail, sunbrella wrap on genoa) and all the running rigging is on. They just bleached the decks and put new thiokol in (30 days ago). Should I expect any damage?

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Probably not. It just melts and runs away. Or if the temp for some reason stayed below freezing it would eventually evaporate (sublimate?) straight from ice. In the end it is just water. The only ways that ice causes damage to weatherproof things is by loading them too heavily, or by getting into spaces where the expansion from liquid bursts something.
Although people in cold climates normally remove sails and cover their boats, many don't bother and it doesn't seem to hurt them too badly. The sun and wind do more damage I think. (This opinion comes from 30 years in southern ontario.)

edit: It just occurred to me that you may not have winterized your engine or water systems on board. If not, sustained freezing temps may burst pipes and or hoses and damage pumps. I hope not!

Last edited by yotphix; 02-14-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
edit: It just occurred to me that you may not have winterized your engine or water systems on board. If not, sustained freezing temps may burst pipes and or hoses and damage pumps. I hope not!
All winterized, fortunately When we move it to Lake Champlain and store it up here, it will be covered. Right now, I'm having a ton of work done to it so I didn't get it covered, and each time we went down to work on the boat ourselves it was blowing hard so we couldn't get the sails off.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, I would worry about it. I'm guessing that your boat is on a cradle or boat stands, since it is on the hard. The weight of 3/4" of ice over the entire boat is a significant amount of weight and might cause problems with the hull where it contacts the stands or cradle. Also, if your boom is being held up by a topping lift, there is a significant amount of additional weight on it now.

The other problem is that the freezing rain that probably caused the icing could have caused damage by getting into small openings and cracks and then freezing, which would expand it by about 10%...

If the incoming storm adds additional snow and ice to what is already on the boat, you may have some damage... so I would try and get down to the marina to inspect as soon after the storm as possible.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2007

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
I'm also in the snowbelt and wouldn't be concerned. 3/4" of ice weighs 4 pounds per square foot. A 25 foot rectangular barge with 8 foot beam would pick up 800 pounds. A pointy sailboat considerably less, say the weight of three adults. Would three adults spread around the boat deflect the cradle or jackstands enough to damage the boat? Doesn't seem likely to me.

A 10 foot boom with covered sail a foot wide would pick up an extra 40 pounds over the whole length. The topping lift would see half of that.

If water has gotten into cracks and froze, the damage is already done.

On the other hand, getting the ice off would involve a lot of pounding. Cold plastic won't like that very much.

Tim
Old 02-14-2007
I'd rather be sailing

The boat is 22 years old. It's been primarily in the Northeast. I'm assuming that if water was going to get into something and expand, it would have done so already. At least that's what I keep telling myself to stay sane

In the meantime, I'm looking out my back door at the blizzard going on here in the Albany, NY area. We're supposed to get 2 feet and 25-35mph winds. Fun Fun Fun!
Old 02-14-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
labatt,
Your Passport 40 is a beauty and hope you get to fully enjoy her this summer. I wouldn't worry about a little ice in Maryland - will melt soon enough.

But, I'm sure you are aware of the damaging effects of extended, sub-zero temps and freezing/expansion issues up in the Albany, Lake Champlain area - that's when you begin to worry about the ice element.
Old 02-14-2007

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
My boat is stored in the water in Annapolis. I just checked the webcams in downtown Annapolis. People are jogging and the boats tied up in Ego Alley don't appear to have any ice or snow on them. I wouldn't worry.
Old 02-14-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
lI'm sure you are aware of the damaging effects of extended, sub-zero temps and freezing/expansion issues up in the Albany, Lake Champlain area - that's when you begin to worry about the ice element.
The boat spent a few seasons on the hard in the Mystic CT area and also the Long Island Sound. While a bit warmer than Champlain, hopefully it's "used to" the freezing/expansion issues already. When we store her up here over the next Winter season we'll be having her shrinkwrapped (with appropriate ventilation). Hopefully that will minimize moisture being introduced to small crevices
Old 02-14-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDB
My boat is stored in the water in Annapolis. I just checked the webcams in downtown Annapolis. People are jogging and the boats tied up in Ego Alley don't appear to have any ice or snow on them. I wouldn't worry.
Herb - thanks for the info! Makes me feel a bit better