Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sailing A Formosa What A Different Experience

Well, I decided to share this with you guys...because it was a very different experience in my sailing life....a much quiet sailing experience...

While here in St. Thomas, I started getting a little sad because I am missing my other Giulietta....so far away in Portugal, and so lonely she is...so, I was in real need of sailing...

Anyway...while here, I met this wonderfull guy, named Cpt. Coy, and his completely nuts first mate Paul...(also met Coy's wife).

Coy and Paul run a very different outfit from those stupid day sailboat rides, the ones you get on a sailboat here in St. Thomas, for $100....you know ....the 182 turist on a small sailboat, tack 3 times, fill you with rum, loud music, cool locals....... and lets go back...here are the $40 T-shirts and the $30 baseball caps, and please notice our huge TIPS ACCEPTED sign...

Coy and Paul bought a Formosa 51, and tired of being ripped 40% of their profits by the local Hotels and cruiseships, decided to move to Lindbergh bay, asked the local Hotel if they could advertise their 2, 3 and 6 hour sunset sailing trips...and they do just that now...they don't push their business, it became a known thing, and with all the weddings here, they're prety busy with the newly weds...

The boat leaves at 5pm, sails quietly into the sunset, crazy Paul prepares some Rum Punch...and the boat is yours if you want if not, they'll "drive it"!!!!

Fred wanted to see the Pirates thing...so ARRRRR he got Pirates, too....and skulls, and all...I had a very enjoyable afternoon with my Giulietta, and Luis and Fred.
I sailed for a while, even Fred sailed....Giulietta just relaxed....what a day...

Their boat and web page is here in case you come over this way Gypsy Wind it is a very well worth different experience provided by absolutely true simple people, and I recommend it sincerely. Want calm and quiet?? This is it....

Cap. Coy runs a non profit cancer outfit in the US during hurricane season, the other 6 months he's here...at Lydbergh bay, in St. Thomas

I liked the Formosa, very confortable, enormous down bellow, but unfortunately, very very very slow, but quiet, docile and less rocking than my seetheart. Still we were not looking for speed..just a quiet afternoon...

Funny thing was that the wheel being hydraulic, needs a lot of turns before the boat actually changes direction....so, me (duhhh) used to my Giu's "very direct and touchy" sword carbon rudder and wheels started thinking the boat had lost the rudder, when I turned it half turn and nothing happened!!!!

Anyway, enjoyed the cutter ketch rigging and its sailing, and enjoyed the fact that I really had to resist (believe me I actually made an effort) the urge to trim the sails....who cares.....I remembered CD....sailing and enjoying a beer.... so I let the wrinkles and flapping genoa go...just this once.....

I and my dear Giulietta decided that once the kids are gone, and well routed into their future, God permitting, will get a large ketch and will go round the World...promissed her.

Here, please some photos enjoy.

The Boat Formosa.

Fred and the crazy Pirate....AAARRRRRRR

Giulietta and Luis

dramatic sunsets...

Last edited by Giulietta; 02-15-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2007

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
very nice, welcome to the club of slower boats.
ps. read your article you send cool. I'l be in Portugal in April.
Old 02-15-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
We will now refer to Giu as Captain Ron. Thanks for sharing the story and great photos from your trip.
Old 02-15-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Now that you've crossed to the darkside Giu, do you want CD to send you a Catalina brochure? Great pictures and glad the whole family enjoyed it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
PB,

I just saw the dark side.....the "Speed Force" is still with me....please tell "Darth CD" that I don't need a brochure of the Inter-Stellar-alina....I....I....I resisted......still sailing the Millenium......

TB who's Cap. Ron??
Old 02-15-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Giu -- Great post! Thanks for the pics. And yes, now you know how the rest of us live, especially us cruisers where speed is all relative (to not moving at all).

As for Captain Ron, you're missing out. You gotta rent this video sometime:
http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Ron-Ku.../dp/B000065V3P

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 02-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
Now that you've crossed to the darkside Giu, do you want CD to send you a Catalina brochure? Great pictures and glad the whole family enjoyed it.
Why not go for a Gozzard, a Valiant or an Island Packet? Those boats are way heavier per foot than even my steel cutter. Very nice motion in a seaway, though...you hardly ever spill your beverage.
Old 02-16-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
What are you talking about "now that you've crossed to the darkside"? Giu has seen the light! Use the force Giu!
(The force is strong in this one)
Great story and pics. I'm jealous!
Old 02-16-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
TB who's Cap. Ron??
The boat used to film Captain Ron was a Formosa - surprised you haven't seen the DVD yet. Through the years Capt. Ron has become an icon with American sailors.
Old 02-16-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Yeah Swab, don't you know who Capt Ron is? Find out and you might get promoted to Mate!

Nice pics, good to see that you can take your wife with you on your business trips. Keeps you out of trouble

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.