Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007

Fearless is on a distinguished road
Would anyone be interested in..

I am going to start my circumnavigation in November. In perperation for this I have put together a web site that will allow me to keep in touch with my friends. I will be able to load images, videos, journals, have friends sign up on a mailing list, and the site will link to winlink to show my position.

I used to be a web designer and I have some people comment about the site and had an idea and want to know if you think people would be interested in this.

I could make a template site similar to mine with the photo gallery, position reporting, journal entries and mailing list and have it so people could buy the site very cheap as it would be a template and then by filling out forms on the computer customize it with thier stories, pictures and more.

Basically they would sign up for a site and fill in a bunch of questions and then be able to update it as often as they want from any internet connection in the world.

I am not selling this now so dont get upset. I just want to know if you think anyone would be interested. It is a lot of work to set it up and just want to know what you think

Now before you look at my site... We are also selling our circumnavigation as an adventure series so the site plays up danger and adventure. These things would not be on the template site.

http://www.fearlessmdr.com

Thanks for your time,
Brett

Last edited by Fearless; 02-16-2007 at 02:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I'm certain there would be people interested in buying your template. The question is how many people? I'm guessing the number would be so small that the project would not be worth your time. But then, this is just a guess.
Old 02-16-2007
randy capedory 25d seraph

rtbates is on a distinguished road
best wishes on your upcoming adventure.

How does that Hunter react when hove to in 25-30kts, 10-15' seas?
Old 02-16-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Nice site, fearless. I will follow along. I agree that you would find interest, but, I don't think it would be great enough to make it worth all the work. Not many sailors undertake an adventure that would warrant a whole site. You might do better just on a case by case basis. I am going to put up a site soon that will have my (small) adventures and refits/problems on my boat. Mostly just to pass on information about what I have learned. If I decided to make the site professional looking, I would hire you.
Best

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-16-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm starting my circumnavigation in about a month and was thinking of putting together a site - I'm good at content but suck at presentation, so a canned site would interest me. But I don't know if I would be able to put a price tag on what would really be just a "fun" site; and from what I've seen here and in other forums it would seem that (we) sailing folk are rather parsimonious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
best wishes on your upcoming adventure.

How does that Hunter react when hove to in 25-30kts, 10-15' seas?
I spent 6 hours hove to off the coast of Santa Cruz Island in 30 - 35 knots and she did fine but I have added a rolling staysail and am going to have to experiment with and see what works best now. I carry a PARA-TECH Sea Anchors as well and if need be I will use that. It is a bit to rig and pull in so I hope I can come up with a sail combination that will work but I have not had that kind of weather since I put the staysial on.

As for the web site, thank you everyone for your input. I would need to be able to sell about 8 of them to be able to sell them cheap and make it worth my time.
Brett
Old 02-16-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
If you have a television show then why bother with these small pickings of website design? What network are you signed up with?
Since you are carrying professional HD video equipment, what are you doing about customs for the gear? And what about immigration, since you will be working in these various countries?
Old 02-16-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Only 8? I think you could do that, no problem. I can manipulate apple's stuff pretty well, but it has its limitations, and I am too cheap to buy adobe. What program do you like to use to web build, and what hosting site do you use? I am using bluehost, but it is driving me nuts and I want to switch.
Depending on the price, you could put me down for one. Can you make it so that titles and such are blank so that I could make my own headings? Say for sections like repairs, or daysails. I am thinking of something I could use for everyday around the Bay things, as I will not be circumnavigating any time soon.
About your sails, I am guessing you may have read "the long way", remember how much he used his storm jib?

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 02-16-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2007

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
Jealous

Fearless,
I wouldn't really need said template, but I will follow along with you on your journy with great interest and some envy as well. Godspeed and good wind.
Old 02-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort
If you have a television show then why bother with these small pickings of website design? What network are you signed up with?
Since you are carrying professional HD video equipment, what are you doing about customs for the gear? And what about immigration, since you will be working in these various countries?
We are not sold yet. We are shooting and editing demo stuff now. We have taken the show to Discovery Channel, my wife works for them, and they have expressed some interest but are not taking any new show right now. If we get produced the working permits and gear problems will be taken care of by the production staff. That is the stuff my wife currently does for Discovery. She is a coordinator on "Not Your Average Travel Guide." If we dont get picked up we will shoot with what we have and its not the type of stuff that would attract attention.

Bestfriend - I use dreamweaver 8, flash 8, photoshop cs and about 10 other programs for variouse little things. I have not read "the long way" yet. It is on the shelf and on the list. Did he not use it much? I use it a lot, any time I am beating and it gets over 22 knots, it just balances the boat better.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.