Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Funny because I always make the following joke to people that ask me about life rafts and EPIRBS:

YOU HOPE IT IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT YOU WASTED YOUR MONEY ON. YOU HOPE.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Choosing a life raft

I want to thank everyone for their insights. Many many good thoughts and ideas that need further evaluation on my part. I have a Tayana 42 and for the most part will be doing coastal sailing with 4 people. I do envision times when I will be sailing with 6 though. I also intend to go offshore in a year or two when I become more proficient. That is probably why I'm considering an offshore raft now rather than trade up in the future. In any case, lots of good food for thought and I know enough now to know that I don't know enough and have more research to do. Thanks again to all.
Tom Shannon
Old 02-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
As a rule, I rotate new batteries into the ditch bag, and use the ones from the ditch bag to power the equipment on the boat about once a year. All of the gear: handheld GPS, VHF, flashlights, laser flare, radio, etc; I have in the ditch bag uses AA batteries, as then I only have to carry the one size.... and all of the AA batteries in the ditch bag are the "photo lithium" AA batteries that have a 10-year shelf-life and last about four times as long as alkalines. Another plus is that the lithiums are slightly lighter than the alkalines.
This is very good advice. I rotate out my D cells (COB lights and two flashlights) and my AA cells (radios/GPSes) once a year, usually in spring. I leave fresh batts in the GPS units to keep the waypoints in memory.

I get cheap alkalines, but I write the year on the blister pack and keep all batteries in a dry box with dessicant. I use up the oldest first (the GPS eats 'em) and then any spares go into the alkaline aux. pack for the S-H VHF handheld. Seems to work for us.
Old 02-19-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
All,

You know I use a ditch bad too. And as always, Saildog comes through with great advice. A big plus of putting the watermaker in the ditchbag is you can also use it if you lose your onboard watermaker. A negative is one my typicl concerns: if you hole your boat (or God forbid, roll it and are taking on water quickly) you may find all of your thoughts on getting out of the boat quickly and not getting the ditch. I am not dissagreeing with SD, at all, since I use a ditch bag too (as most sailors do), but I have always been scared of the reality factor in an emergency.

So here you go: As cheap as watermakers are, er hmm, just put one in both!!!! No?? Well, then, that is a decision you have to make for yourself.

- CD

PS You know, in this discussion, I would be interested in Roberts thoughts and the panic of knowing you are going down. I may PM him.

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 02-19-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Camaraderie,
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Do you participate in TOG?
Tom Shannon
Old 02-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tom...you're most welcome. I've been over to TOG a few times but it doesn't seem too active and it is centered around the smaller boats and the 37's particularly so it hasn't been of much interest to me. This is about all I have time to keep up with! Which 42 do you have...CC/aft or Vancouver?
Old 02-21-2007

Vancouver. Purchased in Annapolis in December and now being outfitted with electronics. It's been 25 years since I've done any serious sailing (pre college tuition days for the kids) so my wife and I plan to keep it on the bay this season so we can learn the boat and for that matter how to sail again. My retirement is just a few weeks away so I'll have plenty of time. The following year some coastal sailing and then if we're still healthy who knows.
tom
Old 02-21-2007

Headingsouth is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Eating Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
If you have 4 people (don't forget to include pets, unless you plan on eating Fido) - CD
Not that I hate animals, and yes, I will be taking my Shiba Inu with me when we begin our voyage in June, but IF I am calmly transferring into a life raft offshore, the last thing I want onboard are dog claws. From most accounts, liferaft problems are almost always holes created by knifes, fishing gear or even chafing. So, unless Fido has his nails removed, he's either swimming or riding a life preserver.
Old 02-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tom...that's great. The Vancouvers are really neat and will take you anywhere. One of the best days of my life was when I retired...I didn't stop smiling for days! The Bay can keep you busy for years...but it is even better heading south when the weatherturns cold. Good luck with your plans!
Old 03-13-2007

Life raft

A while back I got a lot of good insights on this thread concerning choosing a life raft. The one that seems to best suit my needs is the Winslow Ultra Light Offshore 6 person raft in a valise. Besides good reports I've read on Winslow the light weight of the raft is attractive to an old geezer like me. I'm wondering if there is a downside to the light weight in terms of durability and strength etc. Also does anyone have personal experience with this raft that they could share? Thanks in advance for your always valued advice.
Tom Shannon