Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Great boat and very able and capable of trans ocean sailing. They balance well and mine will sail herself without a windvane system but I added one that Dr. David Parker built for my boat. Mine is a 1972 and had very few problems but some things I have seen in mine and other examples of the Tartan 34C

Look at the forward corners of the cabin, the deck cracks in most of the boats, adjust price

Same in the forward corners of the cockpit.

Gooseneck.

Centerboard droops, check pin, easy repair but adjust price

Wet core in deck at fittings.

Engine? Condition and type if Atomic Four and you want to replace it the space for a larger propeller is limited so you need a three blade to use the power of a diesel changing that is somewhat difficult because the shaft is close to the hull so no room for a larger two blade propeller

Because of the boats age has the standing rigging been replaced?

They were standard with a tiller, if wheel, check installation and how did they handle emergency tiller. How did they rig the throttle and shift. Did the take out the old engine controls and glass the hole in the cockpit. In my boat they cut the rudder shaft below the cockpit deck. If I rig the emergency tiller on my Tartan I have a hole in the cockpit for water to get below.

The main sheet was in the cockpit, where is it now. If mid boom you need to have a larger boom then standard.

Lower bearing for rudder is difficult to fix, does the rudder feel loose at the bottom of the skeg.

Conditions of winches? They are old and parts may be a problem.

Spreader base brackets?

If Atomic Four check exhaust, its black iron with a copper muffler. Pipe rusts out at the manifold under the heat shield.

Cabin ports need rebuilding at some point. Hard to get the stainless screws out of the frames. Check for damage to the wood around the ports.

Check the chainplate bulkheads for rot. Somewhat common problem.

Just some quick thoughts and check everything else that you look at in an older boat.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Last edited by Tartan34C; 02-28-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Robert, You could have presented a slightly rosier picture!! I actually think you're pretty spot on with just a couple exceptions. I have a diesel with fairly large 2 bladed prop that provides more than enough thrust and can easily push the boat at hull speed. I have a factory wheel steer (it's Edson) with a quality install. Engine control end-up right beside the wheel and don't need to be relocated. All told, very good tips and things that should be considered when looking at any boat of this vintage.

You might also want to check the TCA34.org website.
Old 02-28-2007

Good point about the web site and it is worth looking at. I was in a rush so I didnít make all the comments I might have with some free time. Did your boat come factory with the diesel? Mine was original with the Atomic Four and I just added the diesel. The factory put the shaft in a different place if the boat came with a diesel so those boats had more room for the propeller. Because mine was a gas boat originally I have a space problem for the propeller.

You are lucky to have factory installed wheel steering. I looked at 7 Tartan 34Cs before finding mine and all the after market wheels were not well installed including the one I bought. Itís the only real pain in the neck about the refit on my boat.

I really like the boat but any boat that old will need some work. I spent a lot of time looking from North Carolina to Canada to Ohio for a 34C before I found mine. The funny thing is when I found her she was sitting only four miles away from my shop the entire time I was looking.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 02-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Robert-

Good list of things to check... Just curious though, why does the deck crack in the cockpit???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2007

I am not 100% sure but all the boats that had cracks in the forward ends of the cockpit where the seats joined the bulkhead for the cabin had the main sheet moved to the cabin top and I think the cabin flexes just a little bit because of the main sheet strain. I am sure that the cracks at the forward end of the cabin in the deck are from the mast pushing the cabin sideways under sail. In both cases the cracks are just in the gel and not in the laminate itself. The gel of course is brittle compared to the laminate.

I donít have any cracks in mine and I have taken short-term steps to prevent them. I am still looking at different permanent fixes.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 02-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A few layers of additional glass would probably reinforce those areas enough that they wouldn't flex and lead to the gelcoat cracking.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2007

jamescio is on a distinguished road
Comapring a Hunter to Tartan

Comparing a Hunter to a Tartan is like comparing a Yugo to Cadillac! I already know the diffrence in quality. What I want to know are some specifics. In the survey report it states there are some wet spots on the deck...How big a fix is the problem? I will be sailing on Lake Erie, which by the way, I know some ocean sailors who won't sail there. My Ericson did a nice job, I imagine I will do better with the Tartan. What about the interior room, I will see it on Sunday; What should I expect?
Old 03-01-2007

Can you e-mail me a copy of the survey? Where are the wet spots on the deck? It makes a difference as to how hard it will be to fix.

You ask about the amount of space below. I think itís just the right amount for the size of the boat. My interest is as a live aboard and as an offshore sailor. If the cabin is too wide or large you will get tossed around in bad weather so a narrow boat has advantages offshore. But the 34C has enough room to be a comfortable live aboard and enough storage built in to be worthwhile. You can also add to the storage because of the way she was built. I think you will like her.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 03-01-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I find the interior to feel slightly smaller than my previous 30ft boat. The coach roof is narrower which is what causes this feeling. That's the down side, the up side is the same coach roof allows nice wide sidedecks while on deck. I think the interior is very well thought out with a very good layout and ample storage. The engine doghouse at the bottom of the companionway gets in the way a bit, but is worth its weight in gold when you need access to the engine. I personally love the standing chart table above and forward of the port quarterberth. YOu can wedge yourself into it while in a seaway if needed and doesn't eat-up a lot of salon space. I think you will find it a well thoughtout, well executed design.

Here is a link to a Practical Sailor review. (Hope this works.)
http://tca34.org/portal/images/stori...or_article.pdf

Last edited by T34C; 03-01-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2007

Jim,
Thanks for sending a copy of the survey. I am e-mailing you and posting a copy of this on Sailnet also. I think the more eyes and opinions you get the better your chances are for gathering information.

It is not a current survey but I assume you understand that. It is like a lot of surveys that are done today and itís a checklist style using the computer to crank it out. His comments about the standing and running rigging are not very useful and in fact most of the survey is just boilerplate.

Just because of the age of the standing rigging I would plan on replacing it unless it looked pristine. I would also pull the chainplates and inspect them at this point if she were my boat. Itís a shame he didnít check the compression in the engine and I would do that as a condition of sale if I were making an offer on the boat. The overall condition of the boat is poor so adding the cost of replacing the engine if the compression is bad might be a deal breaker.

He didnít check the centerboard droop and thatís a common problem with this boat so you might want to look into that also because it will take some money to fix. Not much, but add it to everything else and it adds up. He says the centerboard is operated by a 4:1 manual tackle and I didnít expect that. You might look for the signs of a centerboard winch at the companionway bulkhead but in the 77 model year the centerboard might be different then in the older boats. I didnít look at many of the newer ones.

He points out cracking in the inside corners and forward corners of the cabin house and thatís something I warned you about. Itís the biggest down side to buying this particular boat. The decks are already soft and the problem has spread beyond just the corners. Do you want to get involved in a large fiberglass job? Maybe you should get a quote for the work and if you want the boat use that to attack the asking price. I would pass on the boat because of this problem and itís possible to find a 34C without the problem. In fact I found two and paid a lot less then the asking price for this one to buy mine.

The surveyor also points out that the paint chalking is minimal on the deck and hull but he didnít say they were painted. Because itís from a word-processor its possible this wording is a leftover from a previous survey. Is the boat painted or not?

Things like the broken opening port and rebedding the ports and hand rails are minor routine stuff and itís what you expect to see in a survey like this.

Overall she sounds like a fixer upper and the survey may have missed some things that I would have preferred be covered such as the lower bearing for the rudder and a better look at the rig but this is what you get today with surveys.

The usual internet disclaimers apply. I did not see the boat and am only making comments based on a survey by someone I donít know. He may have done a good job but he may have done a bad job on the survey and thereís no way I can tell from here. Also this represents things that are largely my opinion and as they say your mileage may vary.
Good luck this weekend and all the best,
Robert Gainer