Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure of the asking price, but my boat did not have any of the normal cracking issues an I considered it a pretty good deal when purchased. There is a price comparison spreadsheet available on the tca34.org website that may be of some help.
Old 03-04-2007

jamescio is on a distinguished road
Looked at Tartan 34 C

Well, I just got back from looking at the 34C. The boat has some nice qualities, the layout was good and it appears to have some nice extra equipment including a refigerator. The problem is the maintenance on the boat has been lacking for several years. There is some leakage around the chain plates and there was definetly a difference in sounds on parts of the deck, especially where the surveyor indicated there are high moisture readings.

The price of the boat is around 20k and I don't think the current owner is going to be too negotiable on that...So the question is:" do I have the energy, money and time to spend to get the boat back into shape?" Secondly how much of the deck may have to be replaced? I spoke to a friend who went with me, his delamination of a relatively small part of the deck cost him around 5k to fix. If the core isn't mush, I suppose the epoxy might work, but if it is...whew what a mess.

Thanks for all the input...I am going to sleep on it.

Jim Ciotti
E-29 Wild Thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Jim,
I think they are great boats and I spent several years looking for mine. But gee, things are expensive out your way. I looked at one 34C and got an estimate in the Chesapeake of 8,000 to 10,000 to re-core the entire deck and cockpit. And 20,000 seems to be a lot for that boat compared to what I saw and then paid for mine when I was looking two years ago. If the 34C is the boat you want maybe looking some more is worthwhile. I understand boats aren’t selling very well right now so maybe you have time to look some more and that one will still be available later.
Good luck with the search,
Robert Gainer
Old 03-04-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The worst part about a delamination issue, is that it will rarely come within the best estimate. Too often, when fixing that type of problem, others rear their ugly heads. Any boat with those kinds of issues should be looked at with a wary eye.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the deck has some water intrusion and has started to delaminate, then you're really got to think of the worst, rather than best case scenario. $20K sounds like an awful lot of money for a boat with potentially serious deck issues. If the owner isn't willing to negotiate regarding the costs of the repair, then bail on this boat... plenty of others out there.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Update

Old 04-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Damn...Mr. Jurgen is "hauli'n Ass"...
Old 04-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
T34C-

Are you going to be at the Buzzards Bay meet??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Damn...Mr. Jurgen is "hauli'n Ass"...
See the "Classics" aren't all slow!!

SD- No, Egg Harbor, WI
Old 09-25-2007

luisnino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan34C View Post
Great boat and very able and capable of trans ocean sailing. They balance well and mine will sail herself without a windvane system but I added one that Dr. David Parker built for my boat. Mine is a 1972 and had very few problems but some things I have seen in mine and other examples of the Tartan 34C

Look at the forward corners of the cabin, the deck cracks in most of the boats, adjust price

Same in the forward corners of the cockpit.

Gooseneck.

Centerboard droops, check pin, easy repair but adjust price

Wet core in deck at fittings.

Engine? Condition and type if Atomic Four and you want to replace it the space for a larger propeller is limited so you need a three blade to use the power of a diesel changing that is somewhat difficult because the shaft is close to the hull so no room for a larger two blade propeller

Because of the boats age has the standing rigging been replaced?

They were standard with a tiller, if wheel, check installation and how did they handle emergency tiller. How did they rig the throttle and shift. Did the take out the old engine controls and glass the hole in the cockpit. In my boat they cut the rudder shaft below the cockpit deck. If I rig the emergency tiller on my Tartan I have a hole in the cockpit for water to get below.

The main sheet was in the cockpit, where is it now. If mid boom you need to have a larger boom then standard.

Lower bearing for rudder is difficult to fix, does the rudder feel loose at the bottom of the skeg.

Conditions of winches? They are old and parts may be a problem.

Spreader base brackets?

If Atomic Four check exhaust, its black iron with a copper muffler. Pipe rusts out at the manifold under the heat shield.

Cabin ports need rebuilding at some point. Hard to get the stainless screws out of the frames. Check for damage to the wood around the ports.

Check the chainplate bulkheads for rot. Somewhat common problem.

Just some quick thoughts and check everything else that you look at in an older boat.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
I am buying a Tartan 34 c but it doesn't have the extension for the centerboar, is ti expensive to add?
thanks

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.