Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Giulietta-

Your definitions of art and artist are somewhat different from mine I think...

Bluebottles more Baloney than Bellini.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
one one thing to add about the camera thing... get many "smaller" size cards... reason? it takes a lot of battery juice to run the bigger ones. your batteries will last a lot longer this way.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-22-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
one one thing to add about the camera thing... get many "smaller" size cards... reason? it takes a lot of battery juice to run the bigger ones. your batteries will last a lot longer this way.
I didn't know that. No wonder my damn camera is always going flat. Didn't even think about the larger cards being juice hungry. Ah well one lives and learns. Any particular size better than others ? Meaning is there a middle ground ?

Thanks

TD

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-22-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
the hull form looks quite similar to the Mumm36 built by Carroll Marine about 10 years ago and was/is extraordinarily fast at about 8000 lbs displacement - except for the bulb. How much/what type(s) sails does she sport?
Old 02-22-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Can you cook??? Fred sails you cook, I read my book on sailing...you know..the one with all the "copy paste" answers!!!
I make a mean lasagna. I can even loan you a couple of books.
Old 02-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk
the hull form looks quite similar to the Mumm36 built by Carroll Marine about 10 years ago and was/is extraordinarily fast at about 8000 lbs displacement - except for the bulb. How much/what type(s) sails does she sport?
K1, good call...smart eye...my boat's hull design does remind the Mumm, (to some extent), being a race hull, and after a while, they all start to look similar, just like race cars.

There are, a few differences between the Mumm and my boat, but the principle is the same..

However, I have (proportionally), more beam, and the beamiest part is well after midships, while the Mumm's beamiest section is exactly midships. I also have less vertical surface on the bow, and my keel is placed at a different location, due to the difference in the bouyancy center. The V shape is also similar. My bow is pintier for a longer part than the Mumm.

I also have a slight convex rear hull section (behind keel) while the mumm is all concave.

I have a friend here that has a Mumm36, and it is significantly slower than my boat. It starts showing the signs of age, too. We also have a lower rating, which helps.

The sails are as follows:

Mainsail 586 to 592 SF (depending on the sail and purpose).

110% Genoa 389 to 400 S.F.

Spinnakers:Symetrical :around 1500 SF

Assymetrical: around 1450 SF

All round numbers.

The cruising sails are Dacron STD Lighter for the genoa, heavier for the main, the racing sails are Maxx Carbon regatta, and the Spinnakers are Superkote and Superkote matrix

http://www.contendersailcloth.com/maxx.asp
http://www.contendersailcloth.com/spicloth.asp

Racing sails were designed specifically for her, I just chose the cloth and maker of cloth.