SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Catalina Racing Keel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/29416-catalina-racing-keel.html)

tpm622 02-20-2007 06:55 PM

Catalina Racing Keel

I was looking online at a 1974 Catalina 22 thats for sale. It says it has a racing keel. I've spent some time looking on this site and others for an explanation of a "racing keel" without success. I've seen fin keel, wing keel and of course swing keel but nothing about a racing keel. Is this just a different name for one of the above keels or something different, and if so what would be the draft of a racing keel on such a boat. My other question would be, was such a keel an option on this boat? Thanks in advance for any help.

Giulietta 02-20-2007 07:06 PM

Tpm,

altough I am not familiar with the Catalina's racing keel, I believe the main differences would be:

Thiner section, longer, less weight, but further down, and better hydrodynamic shape, as sweep back or smother transition between hull and keel.

Some racing keels, might have their weight mass, further back or further forward (in relation to the original non racing keel), to help move center of gravity of the keel, and the overall boat's CofG, and thus improve pointing abilities or downwind abilities, depending of the type of racing to be done.

T34C 02-20-2007 07:43 PM

I didn't realize the "oximoron keel" was featured that year! :D :D :D

Sailormon6 02-20-2007 07:49 PM

You have to ask the seller what he means by a "racing keel." I suspect he means that he removed the keel and faired it to design specifications. If so, that would only be a significant plus if you plan to race the boat seriously (perhaps worth a couple hundred dollars extra). My first keel boat was a 1974 Catalina 22, my second keel boat was a Catalina 25, and, in nearly 30 years, I never heard of Catalina offering an optional racing keel.

If he has some kind of custom keel that was fabricated for his boat (which I seriously doubt), then I don't believe it would be permitted to be raced in events sanctioned by the Catalina 22 National Association.

Giulietta 02-20-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T34C

Ouuuuuch:D :D :D CD's ears must be burning!!!!!

T34C 02-20-2007 08:42 PM

Just trying to see who I can stir-up today!;)

werebeagle 02-20-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T34C

Well, I've even seen a snail race, so why not a Catalina? :D

Charlie

sailingdog 02-21-2007 07:33 AM

They do handicap for slower boats... ;)

tpm622 02-24-2007 07:52 PM

Catalina racing keel

Thank you Giu and Sailormon6 for our help.