SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stupid Question #276

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 ·
On a ketch, there's a stay that runs from the main masthead to the mizzen masthead. What's it called? Thanks.

#2 ·
This has been answered twice already this year... its called a triatic stay. :D

#5 · (Edited)
My boat's triatic runs from the main masthead to the mizzen masthead, where it is then lead through a turning block and down to a cleat at the mizzen's base.

Although I haven't used it to do so yet, I've been told by other Nauticat ketch owners, that aside from tension adjustment purposes, this is used to lower the main mast to deck, while navigating through waterways with low clearances - such as under bridges. Of course the masts are both deck-stepped.

#6 ·
TrueBlue said:
My boat's triatic runs from the main masthead to the mizzen masthead, where it is then lead through a turning block and down to a cleat at the mizzen's base.

Although I haven't used it to do so yet, I've been told by other Nauticat ketch owners, that aside from tension adjustment purposes, this is used to lower the main mast to deck, while navigating through waterways with low clearances - such as under bridges. Of course the masts are both deck-stepped.
Now there is a clever thing......

#7 ·
TrueBlue said:

TB,
I've long wondered how you adjusted a ketch with triatic rig. Thanks for enlightening. If you are right about the lowering , what a great idea. One of my dreams has been to putter through the canals of (sshhh Bluebottle might hear me) F####e. Those Nauti-Cats are starting to get under my skin. Madam and I have been contemplating the idea of buying a boat in Europe and maybe/maybe not ever bringing her back to Oz but cruising all round Europe for a few years. Slowly does not disturb me in the slightest. We can always zap down to Cascais if we need an adrenaline shot.
TD

ps - anyone else who likes that idea, try and get hold of Irving and Electra Johnsons book about the third Yankee.

pps - what do NCs go for ?

#8 ·
tdw said:
TB,
pps - what do NCs go for ?
That was my attempt to be on topic. What a stupid bloody question that was. But when you have the answer would also let me know how tall a mast it , how much does a keel weight and what is the length of a piece of string.

Dumb bloody upside down wombat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.