Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
I Just Baught My First Boat!!!

Hey all,...

Yup.

After much thinking and looking around on the North West Coast, the Islands and talking to the kind and erghm, loving, experts at sailnet, I have decided that I would not buy my Ocean circumnavigating boat just yet, and go for a Catalina 27' to get more experience cruising and sailing on the Gulf and San Juan Islands.

I might even stretch it and take the trip to Alaska from here, as I hear a lot of small boats make that trip March - August.

None the less, I put an offer on it and it was accepted. I am still weeks away from owning it, the survey has to be done.

What do you guys think? It's a beautiful, really well taken care of 1976 Cat 27'. The owner is an 80 yearld ex-electrician who is very meticulous and detail oriented, he's kept a log of all the repairs he's done on her for the past 10 years. I was very impressed, and the hull looks in great condition. He's ready to get out of sailing simply because of his age and is looking to buy a power boat to live aboard on his later years.

The boat also comes with Thousands$ of dollars of extra stuff I'd have to spend months shopping for (PFDs, Fenders, All lines, 2 anchors, brand new main, electric dingy engine!!!(isn't that cool?), solar panel, stereo system, dodger, dingy, radar reflector, self tailing winches(not original, he installed them himself, Cutlery, Pots and Pans, GPS and VHF), fuel tanks.

And the outboard engine looks almost new.

I think I made the right choice, let me know what you think of the boat.

Here it is:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1984&url=

I have one question, how much, and how do you install the wind-speed meter(the thing with little cups that spins) at the top of the mast along with the Windex? It seems to be missing so I'll have to buy and install one.

Kacper

Last edited by Kacper; 02-23-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
That's a nice looking boat, especially for a '76. If she is dry inside and the deck is sound, it looks like a good deal. As for the wind speed indicator, if the only thing that is missing is the part with the cups, buy a replacement part. Installing new electronics on top of a mast, even with the mast down, is a job, what with running new wires inside the mast, getting them through the deck, etc. You might want to try sailing without it at all; I doubt you will miss it too much anyway.
Old 02-23-2007

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
Very Nice!

Is that a block and tackle arrangement to lift the motor?

My motor was nasty to raise until I made a lever gizmo.
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Old 02-23-2007

Chaunclm is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! I hope you have a great time with it. She looks like she's in Bristol condition.

On the wind speed thing I've seen folks put a five-foot post up on the bow from the point of the pedestal and put a weather station there. It works great except when you are sailing directly down wind.

Please post your fun times here so we may enjoy your pleasure.

Best regards
Old 02-23-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations, Kacper, welcome to our world....

Parts availability for the wind indicator will depend on manufacturer, age etc.

Last edited by Faster; 02-23-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I bought a Catalina 30 four months ago, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me -- besides marrying my beautiful wife, having two beautiful daughters, and that sort of thing. You know what I mean. Anyway, you're in for some serious fun. I'll own a sailboat for the rest of my days.
Old 02-23-2007

Thanks Guys

Yes, the outboard has a really simple mechanism for lowering up and down, I'm not sure if you call it "block and tackle" but basically there is a lever that it locks on in both positions and you can calibrate it to the exact depth you want it.

About the wind meter.

By "missing", I meant it's missing from my ideal boat So there is no wiring in the mast for such a thing. I would have to buy a brand new one and install it myself.

How does one remove the mast from such a boat?

Kacper
Old 02-23-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
how about like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLswsGhduAY

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-23-2007

Wow that mast snapped like a toothpick.

But seriously, what is the procedure for taking out a mast from a boat where it's a decklevel mast (doesn't go into the cabin)?

Can I do it on my own with some help or do I need the marina to use a crane or something?

Kacper
Old 02-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
kacper...Congrats and good luck with her! We had a C27 of about the same vintage and I learned a lot on her and still think she was a great sailing boat....very easy and responsive.
I would say 2 things...
1. You do not need a $500 mast head wind speed indicator. Buy a little handheld one if you must. The Windex and a look at the water tell you all you really need to know. There are more necessary things you'll need I'm sure.

2. You need a yard with a lift and/or a crane to remove your rigging and unstep your mast. Too big and dangerous as a DIY project unless you have some heavy equipment you've been keeping from us!

She looks good in the pix...hope the survey goes well for ya!