Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Rescue - Catamaran Capsize

http://www.sail-world.com/newstext/p...estTimeOut=180
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
All I can say is "wow". Thanks chuteman, been out in the Bay lately?

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-23-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Prior to the boat capsizing, 'the captain had been steering through the storm for three or four hours,' Klinges said. 'He went down below to take a rest and took off all his gear. Once we were in the water, the wind just took it out of him.'
Hmmm.... Sounds like mainly human error. Sailing downwind in a catamaran with 50 knots of wind and 45' breaking seas? Why not heave-to and wait the storm out?
Old 02-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Better yet...ask why anyone would consider crossing the north atlantic in February.
Old 02-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many cats won't heave to all that well. Why didn't he have a drogue or sea anchor? Also, you do have to question his timing of his trip...as Cam points out... Crossing the North Atlantic in February is less than wise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Human error?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacper
Hmmm.... Sounds like mainly human error. Sailing downwind in a catamaran with 50 knots of wind and 45' breaking seas? Why not heave-to and wait the storm out?
Kacper,
That's a pretty gratuitous comment, doubtless spoken from the comfort of your computer desk. There may be some members who are expert in the heavy weather handling of multihulls, but I'm know I'm not one of them and given your "I Just Bought My First Boat" post, I bet you aren't either.
Your comment makes me feel sick.

For other posters benefit, the article makes clear the original plan was not a North Atlantic crossing......

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-23-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
We weren't there. We can't say.

But the reroute to Annapolis sounds arbitrary and ill-informed, seeing as the crew understood that it was a bad idea. A glance at a North Atlantic Pilot would confirm that mid-February is not great sailing weather north of the Tropic of Cancer.
Old 02-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sfool...right...the article makes plain that the original destination was the Caribe but a phone call instructed them to take it to Annapolis. My question is why the captain didn't turn around and walk off the boat. The crew guy was along for the experience but the captain should have said no.
Old 02-24-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Kacper,
That's a pretty gratuitous comment, doubtless spoken from the comfort of your computer desk. There may be some members who are expert in the heavy weather handling of multihulls, but I'm know I'm not one of them and given your "I Just Bought My First Boat" post, I bet you aren't either.
Your comment makes me feel sick.

For other posters benefit, the article makes clear the original plan was not a North Atlantic crossing......

You know if you were to read anything at all on cats I doubt you would find anyone who would recommend running in those conditions. Not that I know this from experience, the only cat I've ever sailed was a Hobie, but it would seem logical that it wasn't a sensible thing to do. Now I could, in my ignorance, ask the same question about heaving to. Not to be accusative but merely wishing to understand. Who know's ? Someone with a wealth of multi hull experience could well inform us that cats hate to heave to and running is the way to go.

This is, after all, a discussion group not judge and jury. Supposition is all part of discussion.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-24-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
"Flirting with Mermaids"

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Sfool...right...the article makes plain that the original destination was the Caribe but a phone call instructed them to take it to Annapolis. My question is why the captain didn't turn around and walk off the boat. The crew guy was along for the experience but the captain should have said no.
Cam,
Kretschmer has an interesting story in Flirting with Mermaids about accepting an assignment to deliver a boat from Newport to Sweden in February.The bottomline was he felt he was a professional being paid enough to take the job - I well remember the perils he described of the voyage, but don't recall whether he second-guessed himself on the flight home....