SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Things the sea has taken (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/29569-things-sea-has-taken.html)

Fearless 02-23-2007 11:24 PM

Things the sea has taken

I know it is not just me. In three years of sailing the sea has taken:

Scuba tank I kicked off the back while running wire

Many, many tools

2 cell phones

one of our yatzee die, making impossible to finish the game

wallet and all its contents

many pieces of our bbq

butter knife

spatchula

and about 1000 other items. What are some of the interesting things you have lost.

bestfriend 02-23-2007 11:31 PM

lost

my mind, my scrupples, my bank account, my ability to sleep without dreaming of the sea.:o

Valiente 02-23-2007 11:33 PM

This is why you "spill" your first sundowner over the lifelines in honour of Neptune, you know. A guy who lives in a salty sea gets a powerful thirst.

bestfriend 02-23-2007 11:36 PM

Oh wow, I forgot about that, yikes! I still have the bottle of bubbly that was given to us by the broker. I know what we are doing tomorrow evening!!!!

werebeagle 02-24-2007 12:30 AM

A pair of glasses while rounding the weather mark. I had to get the running backstays set, so I couldn't grab them when the boom took them off my face. I got a strap to go with the new pair.

Also lost two cell phones when the ziploc bag wasn't sealed and my bag got soaked in the dinghy ride.

Charlie

poopdeckpappy 02-24-2007 01:49 AM

Over the years she's has borrowed dive gear, surfboards, cell phones, power tool, hand tools, extention cords, eye glasses, sunclasses, fishing poles, boat hooks, anchors and tried to borrow my 77' Landcruiser while on a surfing trip.

She has given in return, countless memories, endless dreams and a really cool handcarved Koa wood ash tray

I think she got the short end of the deal

poopdeckpappy 02-24-2007 01:51 AM

forgot the Ipod

Kacper 02-24-2007 02:23 AM

So far I have only lost

1. One pair of sunglasses bought in Mexico.

2. A glove hotshot

3. A sandwhich

4. Almost lost a friend who fell over-board while un-conscious from a focal siezure. Took a long time to heave him out of the water....but, this happened at the dock luckily :) Had it been in the bay, he'd surely be dead.

Cruiserwannabe 02-24-2007 06:41 AM

well hmmm

5 fishing poles....twice yes I didnt learn the first time replaced them only to have the same bridge wipe them off my deck
2 pair ray-ban prescription sun glass
a couple of preservers not lashed down
also 2 cell phones two different occasions
an 18 horse mercury not secured to the transom (they sink really quick)
of course fishing tackle,tools ,hats more to come as I think about it and the wife reminds me........:mad: who brought this up anyway lol

Zanshin 02-24-2007 06:46 AM

Around 100 clothespins (with attached clothing and towels), winch handle and a rear transom seat kicked overboard by a guest (even though it was safetied!). Oh, and my Tilley hat; but that turned into a MOB excercise.