Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007

sailmaster25 is on a distinguished road
How many out there confess to being an ex-BN ?

ok this is going to cause all sorts of problems.... the very term 'BN' to day upsets so many....but the fact remains that in the late 70's though till the early 90's any self respecting winning race yacht had at least one if not an army of these hard working dedicated men/women.

Back before it was fashionable to go to sailing schools or take night courses on how be be a sailor, the only way to get in to the business was to hang around boat yards like Pilots point, Derkectors, Solent services, Southern Ocean Boat builders, looking for work on one of the new/ up coming IOR race yachts. If you where lucky you would get to strip and service winches for a day or so, perhaps strip antifouling, even polish it before launching etc.... a muiltitude of jobs needed completeing, and the way to save money was to hire partime young lads who wanted to work in return for a chance to race on the 'big' yacht....

Well many of us made a living from it, then to go on and become the head BN of a sizeable project,for example:- 1/2 deck Johnson on 'Passage', Whitless Whitmore on 'Boomer', Chaz from Taz on 'Kialoa' are but a few of the famous BN's of our time (very much unsung heros)... I was a BN and can say that it taught me all that I know now, from boat maintenance to Electronic service and yes even the skills to trim and race amongst the best of them.....

So perhaps its a curious question , but how many of us remember those days and confess to being there when sailing was about the Sport, the 'Corinthian Spirit' and who would get across the line first and to the bar, making sure your yacht had the best place in the harbor and looked 'TITS'.. as you gazed back at her with the owner over that first 'Dark and Stormy'...
Old 02-24-2007

Loewe is on a distinguished road
Have to confess you had me stumped there sailmaster. In a previous incarnation, BN = Bombardier/Navigator
Regards,
Red
Old 02-24-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Having a very, very part time gig being a gopher for a BN, I recall with great joy those days. What I know and what I learned from him has been the mainstay of sailing pleasure. BTW, if the term bothers some people, they just don't get it. It is a term of approbation and admiration. There was a time when one was delighted to be considered one.
Old 02-24-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'm assuming "BN" would be an extremely un-P.C. term for one who might be termed a slave to the boat?
Old 02-24-2007

No Simon Legree, he.
Old 02-24-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I started out by doing anything I could that would trade into a ride on a boat when I was thirteen. I tried to make myself valuable to the owner and got a chance to sail on a lot of very nice boats and learned a lot because of it.

Its funny how times have changed and the meaning of words have changed with the times. When I was a kid it was great to go out and have a gay old time but I donít think it means the same thing today that it meant 40 years ago. A perfectly fine word ruined by a new association. Whatís wrong with the word negro because after all its just the word for black in Spanish isnít it. I think itís the use of the word and not the word itself that is offensive. I regret that some words have become unusable because of the narrow minded and ignorant. Whatís the modern word for a ******-head for instance? I have been caught more then once trying to think of a suitable word while standing in the sternsheets with a landlubber standing next to the ******-head when it was necessary to take a turn and hold fast. But times have changed so boat-****** and ******-head are both is in the past and letís move on.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 02-24-2007

Bollard. I learned the term ******-head on Old Ironsides in 1956. The Navy man told us then, that it was a "hard" term to use given it had out used its meaning.
Old 02-25-2007

sailmaster25 is on a distinguished road
Ok Now we have gotten over the term and its Un polictial correctness today..!!! As One good Boat ****** would say ( who has sadly left us :-( Pete Blakey ).... 'Screw them... Slam dunk him on the next tack and see how he likes the smell of our ass...' and so we did...

Any one remember the I.B.N.A.......international boat niggers association with its annual general meeting at Antigua race week, before it became the trendy place to be seen wearing your designer sailing clothes !!!..

A prize for any one who can remember the offical motto and the logo that was on all our t-shirts,,,,
Old 02-25-2007

I'd ask zooby, if I knew where he is.(he is not the BN in my previous post)
Old 02-25-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I'm counting the posts until this thread starts discussing the in-and-outs of **** splicing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_splice
Closed Thread