Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007

2STF2 is on a distinguished road
Sailboats with many cabins

Hello Sailors!

Myself and 4 other sailing instructors are in the market for a Sailing boat.

We are in the market for a "tank" of a boat-meaning we dont care if it goes fast. We want it to be sea-worthy (Great Lakes), and were thinking of a CC so we can chill inside when the weather is cold, here in Chicago.

We also are looking for a boat that has plenty of berths for the 4-5 owners that will be purchasing said boat. Either cabins or sacked sleeping berths.

that said i have been looking at the Irwin CC 38, problem is it only has 2 cabins.

I think we need a used boat that has been built for charter that has crew quarters.?

Any feedback on these issues for some first time buyers would be welcome

Good winds

Aaron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Beneteau CCs and moorings have many berths, but some can be a little tight. Budget and size would help.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 02-27-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Aaron, if you are looking for a boat with many cabins that's very different from a boat with many berths. Berths are easy, cabins aren't. Unless you've got a big budget and can afford footage.

And if you've got no budget in mind...you're not really looking for a boat yet.

So, what's the budget and how many cabins do you really require, versus berths?
Old 02-27-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Years, and I mean years, ago I think there were a couple of CY Tung ocean going junks in Chicago. Ultimate live-aboard.
Old 02-27-2007
Old Navy

TOMINDC2 is on a distinguished road
There is a widely-known solution to the many cabins problem. It is called a catamaran. A Gemini 105MC offers 3 cabins in addition to berthing in the salon as well, and it is only 34 feet long, but 14 ft wide. As you hit 40 feet by 20 feet, you gain cabins, but you become harder to berth and to haul.
Old 02-27-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
If you want many cabins, I would probably go with one of these two
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1523116

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1650&url=

Remember..cash talks!
Old 02-27-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If the four or five of you can't get along well enough to share a couple of cabins between you - why are you buying a boat together ???

If you're thinking that the 5/8" composite plywood is going to afford any modicum of privacy when you're "entertaining" I can tell you from sheepish experience that you might just as well string a line down the center of the cabin and hang a sail over it. Blocks the visuals just as well...but I digress....

There were a bunch of Beneteaus built with two heads and three "staterooms" in the late seventies/early eighties for the Caribbean charter trade. Contact Weather Eye Yachts to see if they can find one for you. Otherwise - check out the Niagara 35's - I believe they have bulkheads all over the place..
Old 02-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree... four or five people on a boat for any extended period of time is probably too many, unless they are very close... and it doesn't sound like your group will qualify for that description. At most, a 35' boat will have three cabins...and you have four or five people... hmmm.... the math just doesn't work out.

Most charter boats don't have "separate crew" quarters until they get much larger... Safari, a Gunboat 62 has separate crew quarters and can accommodate your group quite nicely, but is probably a bit out of your budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-27-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2007

2STF2 is on a distinguished road
thanks all for the responses so far...

I should of added that we are 4 to 5 guys, aged 26-29...so was thinking of at least a 35ft to 50ft..., but are budget...well we would like to go no higher then 75-80k.....maybe to a 100k but would like to stay lower. We were also all thinking of putting down somewhere between 3,000-5,000 each and financing the rest...possible?

A few of us have been reading the boat classifieds for a year or so..and looking, so i figure time it would be to ask some peers there thoughts.

Again, we not looking for a fastboat, (we got about 3-4, Hobiecats and Nacra;s between us), we are looking more for a "volvo" type of boat, something that has enough berths or cabins for us all, maybe have a enclosed, CC, for those cold Chicago springs and falls, capable of crusing the Great Lakes. I see us using the boat more, in the harbors in Chicago, to live on, or at least be able to spend to spend 3-4 nights a week on it in the harbor during our season, launch our kitegear off of, anchor in a few of the nice spots offshore, and of course have some wild parties on where the rum and girls flow like the nile (Where young, sort of, and in one of the best cities in the world for single ladies who like to get wild)

Again i, and the rest of my crew appreciate all feedback and opinions from our peers.

thanks again

Aaron
Old 02-28-2007

cpcohen is on a distinguished road
The Morgan Out Island 41 has two _big_ cabins -- easy to fit 2 people in each, no crowding. There's probably an extra berth or two in the main salon. It's big enough for real cruising with four people aboard, used that way in the Caribbean charter business for many years..

"35 to 50 feet" is an awfully big range!

Charles