SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Helmets and sailing

19K views 120 replies 36 participants last post by  GreymatterPG 
#1 ·
What are everyone's thoughts about helmets and sailing? I've taken a few hard hits from the boom over the years and I'm starting to look at wearing a helmet. What do you think?

#28 ·
T34C said:
SD- Perhap the easiest solution of all... Lower Your Head!
No need on my boat at least... there's at least a foot of space between the bottom of the boom and the top of my head when I'm standing in the cockpit. My crew is less lucky as most of them are six feet plus...but still most have at least four or five inches of clearance...

I'm not a big fan of helmets as required gear on sailboats... given how uncomfortable they can be...

#31 ·
This issue is not with the boom. The issue is when the boom comes to a sudden stop next to your head along with the corrisponding noise (Hence the Name).

Perhaps the answer would be some sort of wheel or roller mounted either to the boom or possibly you head.

Now where is that French guy with the clever sailing designs????

#33 ·
Halekai-

LOL... we were going to send you to that bar T34C was talking about in a minute... since you seemed so interested in helmut... :D

T34C-

I think the bells would give you an auditory clue to the wind direction at least. BTW, the booming noise only occurs if the person's head has enough air in it...

Giu-

Just when I think I've seen the worst you can come up with, you stoop lower and dig deeper into those archives of yours... EWWW!!!!!

#37 ·
EpicAdventure said:
On a more serious note, can someone post a picture of how to rig a boom brake?
Here's a photo of the Dutchman BoomBrake 500BB setup on my boat.

This is an overview of the whole setup.

These are details of the PX Powercleat that holds the brake line, the two deck attachment points at the chainplates, and the brake itself.

#38 ·
However, I do await Giu's version with anticipation... :D Should be good.

#46 ·
#49 ·
Giulietta said:
Where are the "side kicks"??? Folded??
G- Please show a little respect for our sailing friends. We have spent a lot of time lately discussing proper terminalogy and etiquette. Not everyone has the same abilities and experiences as you. Sometimes we need to take a kinder and gentler approach when discussing the merits and attributes of others and their respective boats. Now say it with me: They are not "side kicks", they are Training Wheels.;)

#50 ·
I'm afraid you have all missed the most OBVIOUS solution to the problem. Simply cut out the cockpit floor, thereby, lowering you way underneath the boom. See? Simple.

#51 ·
Giulietta said:
Where are the "side kicks"??? Folded??
yup... folded so she fits in a single width slip...with room to spare... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.