SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Things the Sea has given (or given back).

5K views 57 replies 12 participants last post by  LittleMissMagic 
#1 ·
Okay, this thread is in response to the thread "things the sea has taken". Yea, the usual fender or occasional skiff (If you found a seashell pram floatin' round Gloucester Harbor one night in August of '89, GIVE IT BACK!) is cool. Mother Ocean takes care of us sailors in many ways. How has she helped you? Here's a little one to get things started:

I was a steaming into Port Washington LI, last summer wondering how I was going to get all of the things done that I needed to attend to, fuel, groceries, laundry, all on a bicycle. I was thinking how much easier life would be if I had one of them rare 6-gallon milk crates to lash to the bike's carry-rack when there, in the flotsam was the very thing! Holds a 5 gal gas can perfectly!

#3 ·
A skiff happens to be something i have found. It was half sunk in the marsh. Ive got it floating in the pond at my grandparents house. Its about 16'L x 5'W and made of fibreglass/wood. Ive been thinking of fixing it up, but have too many small boats as it is.

Ive also found a matterss afloat, but didnt salvage that. Of course the normal fenders. I stared out with 3 fenders on my boat and probley have 20 by now.

#4 ·
Damn, that's a pretty big skiff...

#5 ·
while cruising the Cali coastline, spotted was a large salad size ceramic bowl floating along. damdest thing i ever seen (reminds me of pirates black pearl scene where the umbrella floated by) nice bowl though! found some nice anchors, sunglasses, fishing gear, beautiful shells, many great meals, tranquility, peace, a few finger cuts from some tasty lobsters, and yes! jewelry!!!

#7 ·
Found a really nice koa wood ash tray and also found a old wooden plague that had the boats name along with the captains names and all the crew carved into it.

Kinda reminded me of the movie " The Fog " and the Elisabeth Dane; I did a name search but came up zero, but it did make for a good spooky story

#11 ·
You can use that photo to scare your children with... :D

#16 ·
Blue,
Ya hadda known it was comin'. The only thing missing is the inscription beneath it, which can be only one thing, "What Me Worry?"

We have found the Alfred E. Newman of sailnet. Camaraderie, I hereby demand that that photo, with the inscription, be posted on the home page.

#17 · (Edited)
sailaway21 said:
Blue,
Ya hadda known it was comin'. The only thing missing is the inscription beneath it, which can be only one thing, "What Me Worry?"

We have found the Alfred E. Newman of sailnet. Camaraderie, I hereby demand that that photo, with the inscription, be posted on the home page.
sailaway,
Funny you should mention that . . . even though it's been decades since I read an issue of Mad Magazine, I was thinking the same thing when I saw Giu's grinning mugshot. <g>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.