SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fiberglass repair referral SF Bay

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Please don't ask, I am not happy at the moment. I need a guy that can repair fiberglass. Its the transom lip on a Bene First 30. Its about an inch and a half high and about four inches long, crushed. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
SF Bay Area. Thanks.

#3 ·
bestfriend said:
Please don't ask, I am not happy at the moment. I need a guy that can repair fiberglass. Its the transom lip on a Bene First 30. Its about an inch and a half high and about four inches long, crushed. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
SF Bay Area. Thanks.
What happened?? I gotta ask...

#4 ·
Thank you thank you thank you thank you fastbottoms! I feel a little better now, having a cocktail. I bumped the guy in the slip next to me. We moved to a really tight slip, which in my opinion, is too tight for 34'. A HUGE gust came up and blew us right into him. It was so quick, I had time to slam it in reverse and crank the wheel to get the bow away, but it was too late, crunch! One good thing is that I was compensating for the wind already, it would have been really bad otherwise. Okay, confession over.

#6 ·
yotphix said:
don't feel too bad. Stuff happens, then you deal with it. Enjoy the drink, and now you have a new story to tell! (Anyhow, it's only a Bene!)
That's really cold, funny, but cold... evil...

#8 ·
My condolences. A collision at sea and all that. Actually an "allision" since one vessel was made fast to the shore. And yes I learned the meaning of that one in a USCG proceeding against license, fortunately not mine. Look forward to all the details in technicolor on "mistakes I've made" thread. <G>

#10 ·
bestfriend said:
Thank you thank you thank you thank you fastbottoms! I feel a little better now, having a cocktail. I bumped the guy in the slip next to me. We moved to a really tight slip, which in my opinion, is too tight for 34'. A HUGE gust came up and blew us right into him. It was so quick, I had time to slam it in reverse and crank the wheel to get the bow away, but it was too late, crunch! One good thing is that I was compensating for the wind already, it would have been really bad otherwise. Okay, confession over.
Sorry about that.....how's your boat doing??? Is he still pissed off with you?????

#14 ·
If I recall, those boats used to have a rubber rail in that lip...did they remove it or this one never had it???

The crack, vertical, on the other side is OK, can be well patched...but if it migratted undert the alluminium rub rail, it has to come off, and glassing the inside on that corner will be harder...all in all does not seem too bad...or serious....

#16 · (Edited)
The stern rub rail seems to be a european thing, because of the backing in to the dock. Over here, I don't think they make them with it. And I don't think it would have helped because they don't come up that high. It looked much worse yesterday. Today, it looks manageable.

Hmm, good point TB. It does look a little thick. Nonetheless, I think from the photo, it looks like the rail kept the crack in the open. (hope)

#18 ·
I am going to retract my earlier statement. I think the thickness comes from the area where many parts are coming together. And the crack looks like it goes right under the rail. Oh well.

#19 ·
Doesn't look like a dock-side repair... looks a bit more expensive and complicated than that... Any time you have multiple layers and pieces of fiberglass coming together, the cost and time starts to go up quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.