Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007

mugs is on a distinguished road
Insurance

Got a quote from Boat US for a boat we're thinking of buying, and felt it was high. The sailing area to begin with would be Fl Gulf coast. Any other companies recomended ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Give Christine Hartge at Hartge Insurance a call. She's quite good and her number is 1 (800) 999-5251/410 867-6666.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
You can also try the company from which you get your home and car insurance.
Old 03-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be careful... some insurance companies that don't really understand what a yatch policy should be will sell you insurance, but it won't have coverages for things that are very boating specific... like salvage costs in the case of a salvage operation, like clean up and remediation costs in the case of a fuel spill. Also, many non-marine specific insurance companies will not sell you an "agreed value" policy, but an "Actual Cash Value" policy, which is less than useful for many.

With an "agreed value" policy, the boat is covered for essentially an agreed amount...which is usually considerably higher than it's actual cash value in the case of a newer boat... and things like stolen electronics are paid for at the replacement cost, rather than the "actual cash value", minus your deductible.

When you compare quotes, make sure you're comparing apples to apples...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
I've had Boat US for my domestic insurance company for more than 5 years, along with the towing service. I've found their rates competitive, and their customer service above par. Only drawback is the club dues.
Old 03-01-2007

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
talk to Jim Muller at International Marine Ins. Sys. my quote from Boats U.S. was about 1400.00+- the co. i started with was 986.00+- Nat. Marine Underwriters. then the folks at ssca told me about IMIS i now have a policy with them for 925. in the n.east. the reason i switched from Nat. is that their carrier dropped me because of the age and length (our was to long/big) boat (1979-37') IMIS has a helmsman policy that will allow you to change your policy with a phone call to go cruising where other cos. want to write a new policy. regards
Old 03-01-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ditto the IMIS recommendation. www.imiscorp.net
Old 03-01-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Practical Sailor had two articles on this topic last year. Given the hurricane-prompted rate increases in the Florida area of the last few years, I'm not convinced I'd bother....

...keeping the boat in Florida!
Old 03-01-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
For a boat in the 26-30' range, your car/home insurer may be the most competitive. Most won't cover them larger than that, and then your rateing will depend on things like the area you are in, the value of the boat, the age of the boat, the coverage you want (of course), and whether you are a first-time boat owner or can document prior boating experience and training.

For a bigger boat and solid coverage, yes, IMIS gets consistently high praise. Not cheap--but pros who deal straight.

Policies that look alike at first glance can also be very different, if you get two very different quotes don't be afraid to ask each one to compare line by line with the other, and what other coverage they recommend. (Like fuel spill and salvage liability.)
Old 03-01-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Camadarieitto the IMIS recommendation. www.imiscorp.net
Thanks Cam for the advice. I went to the site, and saw that their Mexican rider is a LOT less expensive than what I've been paying. I've asked for a quote.