SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Towing insurance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/29806-towing-insurance.html)

Jotun 03-01-2007 02:34 PM

Towing insurance

Is towing insurance worth it? And don't answer with, it depends on whether you break down or run aground. ;)

Is insurance from someone like Seatow better than the cheaper converage you can get with your boat insurance policy?

TrueBlue 03-01-2007 02:48 PM

It's worth is best quantified by someone who has had the need for it.

We've had towing insurance with several companies through the years, including Seatow. We went back to Boat U.S. three years ago - since they also insure the boat.

So far we've been lucky, so cannot rate them. But their tow boat stations are widely distributed in our cruising area - an important consideration to factor in your decision.

Jotun 03-01-2007 03:18 PM

This is what I am thinking over:

Seatow and BoatUS are both widely distributed in our sailing area. That's no problem. Do I go with one of their unlimited towing plans for something around $120 a year, not knowing if I'll ever need it, or do I go with a towing add-on to my boat insurance policy that covers up to $500 for towing for $20 per year?

k1vsk 03-01-2007 03:22 PM

I do what the insurance agents who have boats do if that's any indication. They assure me that it's a myth that submitting a towing claim on your hull insurance policy will adversely affect your policy premium so they consistently recommend to me to keep our towing endorsement rider on the hull policy. The few of them with whom I have talked to about this all say the same thing about separate towing insurance policies but I can't repeat it on a family channel...

I-33 03-01-2007 03:41 PM

Towing insurance can be a good thing

I have a good friend who operates a 6' draft boat in a shallow channel. He wisely subscribed to the unlimited Sea Tow plan--said it was about $140/year. I was with him when he got stuck so bad it took two tow boats to pull him back into deep water. He has called them out on at least one other occasion. I hate to think what all this would have cost on a per-incident basis.

PBzeer 03-01-2007 04:12 PM

If you're in an area with a lot of skinny water, then yes, it can be worth it. But remember, if you do ever need a tow, or assistance (fuel, jumpstart) there's a good chance you're looking at $500, and for a soft ungrounding, add another $300. Like most insurance, you hope you don't need it, but for $120.00 a year for unlimited, it's worth it to me.

sailingdog 03-01-2007 05:00 PM

$500 isn't much at all when you consider that they start charging from the time they leave the dock until the time they're back at the dock... If you used the "unlimited" SeaTow or TowBoat US policy once for a soft ungrounding or dead engine tow back to your marina, it will have paid for itself for several years pretty easily.

PBzeer 03-01-2007 05:04 PM

SD - you're right on that, as I found out.....the hard way.

svsirius 03-01-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
$500 isn't much at all when you consider that they start charging from the time they leave the dock until the time they're back at the dock... If you used the "unlimited" SeaTow or TowBoat US policy once for a soft ungrounding or dead engine tow back to your marina, it will have paid for itself for several years pretty easily.

Absolutly true.. we have had the Boat US for yrs never used it till that one time with a dead engine. Charge would have been way over 500 as it was no charge...

ianhlnd 03-01-2007 05:16 PM

Yeah and that charge from the time they leave the dock is about 100 to 150 per hour. then the tow back at 4 kts. I used Boat US twice last year due to mechanical problems (steering, fresh water pump fell apart), and each of those would have been well over $800.each. I figure as a sailboat, I can generally get close to the harbor so I go with the minimum rate, well worth the cost.