Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Ouch!

Deep breath, folks. Breathe in, breathe out. Now repeat after me, "There is a place for both." Breathe in, breathe out.

I come here to have fun, to learn something, and to help others (and not neccesarily in that order). It kinda reminds me of being in an anchorage with old friends and new acquintances. We have all met on one boat, and Lord knows with sailors there are opinions flying everywhere. The good thing about this forum is that, using the example above, it is a really big boat and a really big anchorage. The bad thing, as has happened many times, is people will say things that they would NEVER say to a person's face. The anonymity of the internet is irritating in that respect. I for one do not hide behind it (most/many know EXACTLY where to find me and stop by). Others feel differently and that is fine. Whatever floats your boat.

On the subject at hand, I don't mind trying to keep the topic focused and the joking elsewhere. I cannot imagine it dissapearing, personally. This would get too dry. Cam was not asking it to dissapear. He was saying to be conscious of it. I will also point out that when I started this site, many of the topics ended in nastyness and name calling, etc. Those are at quite a minimum now (with a few exceptions that actually became quite funny in themselves). Still, being an open site, "what may, will."

There are too many good people here (and knowledge) for anyones feelings to get hurt. Let's all try and get along, as we typically have done. I have met some good friends here and hope to one day be able to meet many of you IN PERSON!! Especially Cam, who offered free babysitting. Where were you again, Cam? (Now am I turning this off topic again & joking? Oops).

- CD

PS Bristol - Maybe Giu aggravates you, maybe you did not realize how your post sounded and meant it as nothing but a joke. But as with all things written, it is difficult to inflect tone and that sounded off-base (to put it nicely), whether you meant it to or not. His 8 year old son frequents this site (with Pops standing behind him, I hope). I can tell you that anyone that puts up with Giu has got to be nothing but saints (smile)... gotta leave the family out of it. It is a very nice family and I hope to one day be sitting beside them - me on my Catalina, him on his Formosa! I think clarification and editing is in order.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
I guess I should weigh in here, as I am one of the newbies who asks ALOT of seamingly dumb questions.
You guys have all helped me, glady, honestly, and sometimes yes, a little sarcasticly. BUT, all of it has been in jest(I hope), LOL. A rookie is a rookie,,, sailing, football(THE REAL KIND, not that European crap,,LOL), any sport, heck even fishing. The new guy gets ribbed, as it should be.
This is a msg board, and as such, will go off topic on occasion, it's the nature of the beast. Without the friendly banter and cut-ups it wouldn't be FUN, afterall, isn't that what we're all here for in the end, fun?
The last week or so, I have laughed so hard my eyes watered, and at the same time had all of my lame questions answered, it's couldn't get much better than that.
IMHO, don't change a thing, it aint broke, it don't need fixin'.

Last edited by goose327; 03-02-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-02-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I'd like to take this opportunity to register a complaint against Goose. Last night he posted a picture of himself in a Santa hat on a thread entitled "Mistakes I've made." While humorous, witty, and bloody brilliant, it was off-topic, and I was offended. Just sh*ttin' ya, Goose! ARghhh!
Sailhog
Old 03-02-2007
Belliure 41'

JT1019 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JT1019
I have not been a member as long as most nor do I have the experience that most do but I am a sailor and I do post when I feel the spirit move me. Over the last 6 months I have looked at hundreds of threads and come to some conclusions; 1-Most questions have little merit but do deserve an answer. 2-People tend to not like the answers given and attempt to beat a dead horse and get keep the thread at the top of the list. This is usually done by posting more stupid questions. 3-The members of Sailnet are, in general, VERY helpful and knowledgeable and only reply to questions or comments they have experience in. 4-Once questions or comments havs been answered the thread becomes fun and people post other things that are not at all associated with the topic. This is where the best information and most fun is posted. 5-If I let Giulietta on my boat he will accost my girlfriend and they will suddenly have to tour the vbirth.

I have many more conclusions but I’m not going to get into them since I think I have adequately conveyed my opinion. I love sailnet for what it is; a jovial exchange of knowledge and experience that is new everyday. I would not change a thing about it.
Old 03-02-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Recently a couple of members have written me privately asking if I can do something about the tendancy of a lot of threads to drift into nonsense and joking around. They've asked if we can move the humour to its own thread or delete off topic posts.
This is a common issue on every forum I've ever spent any amount of time on (and that's a lot of forums. ) Threads will usually start out on-topic but once the question at hand is dealt with, the conversation drifts. Sure, sometimes a question doesn't get answered at all, but if you are going to communicate with people over the internet, you need to be two things; 1.- persistant and 2.- thick skinned. Any newbie who feels turned off because nobody held his hand through his first thread isn't gonna last long in any forum, whether its this one or another.
Old 03-02-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Winter is almost over. Y'all Lighten up. Nothin worse than a bunch of land bound Sailors.
The first person that suggests a group hug will be keel hauled.
Old 03-02-2007

Cruiserwannabe will become famous soon enough
well put

hmmm I have started to reply to this thread several times this am and have ended up just deleting and going back out to shovel some more snow..... and not that my opinion should matter much but I get much satisfaction and enjoyment reading these post and threads before work and after the humor and ribbing is the highlight of what at times can be most stressful days and I couldnt have put it better than CD or the last couple of replies...keep it light and have fun
Old 03-02-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Change for who?

Can we please stop pretending this is real education? Anyone who doesn't double check an answer they get on a forum deserves to swim back to shore. Wikipedia's "open-source truth" apparently has some people believing that the internet is a good place to find an answer to trust their life with. I'm not saying that Giulietta is 'an ass and full of s#&^' (though some have), but that caution keeps a sailor alive, and should be exercised here, just as anywhere else. There are very good answers on many of the forums here, but there's also a fair amount of BS masquerading as a serious answer (as well as the BS questions). So why ask the people who are at least honest with their BS to change? If the newbies what info, they're called "articles" and there's a link for them right at the top of the frickin' screen! (God, now my blood pressure's up, should've just stayed a voyeur)
Cheers
Old 03-02-2007

waiatarua is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone I am one of the newbies. I have always enjoyed to little pokes and twists of everyones humor, I get some good advise along the way as well. Most of you I really would like to meet and have a beer or some wine along the way. Being a newbie my questions may seem pretty dumb at times but I have learned many times over being in Quality the only dumb question is the one that never got asked. So please be patient with us.
Old 03-02-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Lot of information here and a wee but o' foolishness. A good ratio IMHO.

Bob seen a lot o' dead folks and none of 'em were smilin' ... got a feelin' we best be doin' it while we're able.

sailhog, you're a hoot! Stirs it with her bare hand ... Southern style, even got the mate grinnin' like a possum with a mouth fulla yellowjackets!

Jeff H, man if I knew what you do my head would be twice as big and I'd have to buy a new sailin' helmet!

CD, Giulietta, Pigslo, PB, TDW, and the rest of the puckerbutts, y'all make the day much much brighter (you too Phyllis).

Cam, the Arabs say, For the beauty of the garden, the stench of the dung heap must be endured. No matter what ya do, ya never gonna run outta complainers ...

Dang, Bob got longwinded ...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.