Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Wow... I go away for a few hours and comeback to 3 pages of comments! Guess I hit on something people feel pretty passionate about. I do too!

Before going on I would note that I have edited the personal attack on Giu by Bristol as is is both un-called for and way over the line. Warning is hereby served that further such excess will not be tolerated. Since the response itself was serious, I have chosen not to eliminate the entire post and have also left the response of others to the post intact.

PB had it right when he commented that my intent in my original post was:
"...no one said the kidding around HAD to STOP. Just a suggestion that we all pay a bit more attention to where we do it."

My comments were not directed at any single person and I included myself among those who need to think a moment more before posting in jest. I have no intention of creating special humour threads or changing anything else in the forums which I pretty much love just the way they are.
It is OK to joke on this thread!!

In the end, everything is a gag.
- Charlie Chaplin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
People, people, people!
Come on now!
I will make this as simple as possible.
I posted a thread entitled "fiberglass repair" A serious cry for help and I got it immediately.
I posted a thread entitled "TV Antenna" Asking for serious advice and I got it.
I posted a thread entitled "Forum dress code" An obvious cry for attention and tomfoolery. I got it.

The only problem that I see is that sometimes, good information gets buried 4 or 5 pages down the line between the jokes and its hard to find. I think that yes we could tone it down a little on the serious threads for that reason, its good to hear a lot of opinions and sometimes good opinions don't come for several days. The little jokes here and there are no big deal. If we hijack a thread it should be after the problem is solved. Maybe its up to the poster to say thanks, i got what I need.
You can always PM the poster if you don't want your opinion to be lost in the thread!

Would someone point me to a really serious, information only post that was totally hijacked by bad jokes.

A newbie posted asking for advise on a big boat for him and his friends. I answered seriously, others did not, but not the usual jokers. I chose to ignore the jokes on that post and try to help the man.

As for personal unfriendly attacks, PM the person. Or just ignore them. there is no place for that here. I have regular friends in my town. You guys are not the only people in my life. You can just leave if you don't like it here. But I do feel that if I wanted to go to the East Coast or Europe and sail with a few of you, I would be welcomed. As I would you. This is not just a place for information, it is a "community".

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 03-02-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2007

kennya is on a distinguished road
Letís get real here. I visit this form for opinions and entertainment. Opinionsí are just that, someoneís thoughts on any given subject to be taken with a grain of salt, weighed, and investigated before taking a position of your own. The entertainment is priceless, the friendships I see building across state lines and country lines are great. Regardless of the politics of any given country, the people especially sailors can and do band together to help one another become better sailors. I thank the new people on this form are treated better than a lot of places. Lets say you ride your new Harley to a biker bar go in and ask where the best place to park your bike is, I will leave the response to your imagination. A little ribbing to me is the beginning of acceptance to the brother hood of sailing sisters included.
Old 03-02-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Well put, Kennya.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-02-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
Oh crap,, here comes the group hug........

see, that's how it's done.
Old 03-02-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Kennya,
Bob once went into a biker bar and ordered two beers ... asked barman if he could drink 'em outside ... barman looked around and said, That would be a good idea! Wonder what he meant by that?
Old 03-02-2007

mwrohde is on a distinguished road
I'm one of the new guys. New boat owner, new to the forum, and learning to sail.

I bought my first boat three or four months ago. I sailed small boats a bit as a kid, then nothing for 25 years. I'm not docked with other sailers, so I'm learning to sail by reading and doing.

My questions posted here have been answered promptly, thoroughly, and in a friendly and encouraging manner.

I find the fooling around to be neither distracting or in place of real content. Furthermore, I find that it lends a distinctly human element to a very anonymous medium.

This newbie wants nothing changed.

Did you hear the one about the priest, the rabbi, and the duck?
Old 03-02-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
finish the joke...
Old 03-02-2007
Hitchin' a ride

See, now here is the perfect example. A couple of quick jokes on a thread that has been run into the ground. You get a good laugh, brightens up your day!
If you don't like the site, go somewhere else, or make your own!!!!!!!

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-02-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
goose, that's one hell of a whiteout!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.