Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Can we agree??

Recently a couple of members have written me privately asking if I can do something about the tendancy of a lot of threads to drift into nonsense and joking around. They've asked if we can move the humour to its own thread or delete off topic posts. Specifically they suggest that we may be driving new people with questions away as they don't get answers...just jokes.

As I look at the situation, I DO see a lot of joking around and some of it in places that it probably shouldn't be. Hell....I contribute a fair amount myself!
But I think that the joking and dare I say it..."camaraderie" ,is what keeps a lot of folks coming to the site each day as well.

I guess my biggest concern is that newbies won't get their questions answered or feel welcome...and although I don't personally feel that is happening, some other members do.

So...in the spirit of self-regulation ,(rather than moderation!), I would ask that we all think just a little bit more before taking a thread to the "lighter side" with a joke or a jibe or a picture that is out of context. There are threads that obviously lend themselves to humour, insults and pictures of men in drag!! Some exist already and you strange birds will definitely surprise me with something new daily! But let's all try to let serious questions get answered before you degenerates ...degenerate!
Thanks all....Cam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Itís two in the morning you need to get some sleep.
Bob
Old 03-02-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Ok, but I'm sure gonna miss Guilietta's art work
Old 03-02-2007
Desiring to sail.

chris9matt0 is on a distinguished road
Whaaa?

I have to say that along with getting some great information about sailing, sailboats, etc. I love coming back to the threads to see the joking that does go on amongst the members.

I do understand that some just want their questions answered. But I say that if they don't want to deal with the joking, then they have the option to not read/view it.
Old 03-02-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
A long time ago on Compuserve forums, the masters of cyberspace could shift a drifted thread into the "Bar-Stool/bilge-water" section. They left the topic relevant bits (usually the first couple of posts) where they were. That way nobody got offended by having their posts deleted, the chat could continue and the more serious topic could get a few more responses.
Old 03-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Though I brought it up in a thread, rather than in private, I do think it is a valid concern. And certainly something we should all be aware of, as the board is for everybody.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2007

I-33 is on a distinguished road
No clear answer

I usually enjoy all the tomfoolery and such that goes on here. OTOH, I think Cam's point about discouraging Newbies is valid. Other people don't. Sometimes it is irritating when a thread gets hijacked. Somone recalled the days when mods would move off-topic posts to a separate area--sounds like a good idea, but we should not believe that it will not offend some posters. In my mind, it comes down to acceptance. If I cannot change a thing, I must accept it as it is or I put my peace of mind at risk.

Perhaps the answer does lie in more discretion when responding to a post. If we think about how others will react, maybe we will be better able to judge the appropriateness of our post.
Old 03-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I see this almost directed at me.

My question to the "party poopers", to the gutless hide behind the PM "ladies" is this:

WHEN, I mean WHEN, did I not give a serious answer to a serious question that deserves a serious answer?? Name one occasion....just one...(off course if I don't know the answer I don't reply).

Have I joked and went south with some threads??? GUILTY AS CHARGED...but I only do it, on those whose input by previous is dead, after several provided the answer, or when the initial question is so stupid that it does not deserve an answer.

I have occasionally joked with the "wise" "copy paste" answers some provide here.

If I am overdoing it...let me know...I can allways go to sailing anarchy.....no problem for me.
Old 03-02-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Have I joked and went south with some threads??? GUILTY AS CHARGED...but I only do it, on those whose input by previous is dead, after several provided the answer, or when the initial question is so stupid that it does not deserve an answer.
I agree with Gui. Threads usually turn light after the question or discussion has been answered or is finished. I enjoy this humorous banter, although sometimes I don't have time for it. When I don't, I stop reading the thread. It's that simple.
Old 03-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
For myself, my agreement with Cam's suggestion, isn't aimed at anyone in particular. I've contributed my share of tomfoolery for sure. Nor do I think anyone else really was singling out any one person. I feel it's just an honest attempt to make the community as best it can be. Notice, no one said the kidding around HAD to STOP. Just a suggestion that we all pay a bit more attention to where we do it. I don't think anyone should have a problem with that, nor feel they are being singled out by it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog