SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   'The Perfect Boat' (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/29917-perfect-boat.html)

zmfmd 03-04-2007 07:55 PM

'The Perfect Boat'

Hello everybody. I have recently discovered this forum/site after putting a search to help me gather ideas to build 'the perfect boat'. I was researching one criteria..and that was "unsinkable"..one of the results was one of the threads in this forum..which i found very informative..with inputs that reflect some higly professional comments..and thus encouraged me to subscribe and post this thread. This is probably too idealistic..but i believe it can be done.
What i'm trying to accomplish is not new and probably exists somewhere..but i have not been able to find it with ALL the criteria i wish toaccomplish in my "perfect boat". By the way, at this stage i'm limiting it to a 20-23 ft. power boat..with an outboard of about 40 hp..one that is mostly used by the majority of fishermen all over the world, and also recreational boats (with appropriate modification at a later stage if my efforts are successful).
The criteria are:
1. unsinkable.
2. selfrighting.
3. self-bailing.
4. has multiple means of propulsion.
5. affordable..
The main objective is to save lives all over the world..and hoping one day all..and i mean all boats whether sailboats, powerboats small or large will be built that way..similar to whats happening in other idustries..e.g. car air-bags are a must..etc..
Any ideas, thoughts, advice is appreciated. Actually anybody interested to join me in my quest is welcome.
Depending on the input, i will elaborate further on different issues.

Tartan34C 03-04-2007 08:04 PM

There are several RIB rescue or pilot boats that have all your requirements. I think the military also has suitable boats. Last months Professional Boatbuilder had an article about the design of one such boat. Get in touch with them and they will send a copy. It was interesting to see how the design criteria was worked into a real boat.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

sailingdog 03-04-2007 08:38 PM

Etap monohull sailboats are supposedly unsinkable.... so was the Titantic. :D

Most boats are not self-bailing... you need to have bilge pumps, and either human power or electricity.

Most boats that fit the other characteristics will fail on the final one... being affordable. :D

Giulietta 03-04-2007 09:08 PM

I have the perfect boat....sorry.....:D :D :D :D :D

camaraderie 03-04-2007 09:48 PM

"and i mean all boats whether sailboats, powerboats small or large will be built that way..similar to whats happening in other idustries..e.g. car air-bags are a must..etc.."

Yeah that's want we want...more regulations...less freedom and boats built the way YOU want them to be. It's for the good of the children I'm sure.

sailaway21 03-04-2007 10:55 PM

I believe most of such a boat already exists. Take your basic MacGregor 26' and add a long zodiac flotation pontoon around it. You'll probably sell millions. You may put the RHIB industry on it's heels, but hey, sacrifices have to be made.

bestfriend 03-04-2007 11:18 PM

Can we make it a cutter rig too?

longwaterline 03-05-2007 10:20 AM

no such thing

Sailormann 03-05-2007 06:25 PM

Don't mean to sound ungracious but you did ask for any and all comments.....

I am not sure how successful you will be here...a lot of us have trouble understanding how to keep the pointy end going forward (we are special folk who went to school in the little yellow buses - not the big ones) and sometimes have difficulty formulating coherent sentences.

Indeed, I can't imagine that you would find much in the way of technical information that would help you establish a regulatory, powerboat-based model that would then be applied to the sailing world....

There is another Forum that you should check out. It's called SailingAnarchy.com The folks are pretty friendly and will the take the time to consider your request seriously...

donrr1 03-05-2007 06:34 PM

GIU, as it is well known (in my mind) that I, in fact, have the perfect boat, it follows that YOUR boat would have to be somewhat LESS perfect, wouldn't you agree?? :D :D :D :eek:

Don